Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best Way to Clean CPAP Hose?
RE: Best Way to Clean CPAP Hose?
I use one of those cleaning kits that has a blue snap-together 3-piece plastic rod and round "patches"... very similar to cleaning a gun barrel.
The rod gets a little over halfway through, so I put on a patch and "scrub" in and out working my way down and back out, then flip the hose and repeat. It doesn't work for the Resmed heated hoses because of the 90 degree connector.
Then I rinse with HOT HOT tap water, and hang with the ends down to dry.
Generally twice a month.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2018, 08:57 PM)purpleh2 Wrote: They suggest, Clean mask one a day with Dish soap and warm water, and once a week clean your crap hose,
Dish soap can be very harsh, both to the plastics and to your skin/lungs.
Baby shampoo is just as effective at cleaning and much more mild.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Rich I will get some

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2018, 09:46 PM)CB91710 Wrote:
(07-25-2018, 08:57 PM)purpleh2 Wrote: They suggest, Clean mask one a day with Dish soap and warm water, and once a week clean your crap hose,
Dish soap can be very harsh, both to the plastics and to your skin/lungs.
Baby shampoo is just as effective at cleaning and much more mild.

The Dawn dish soap people mention repeatedly is routinely used by rescuers of oil-covered waterfoul.  It makes contact with their skin during this operation, but it also makes contact with picnic hamper plates and cutlery, and other plastics, and paints.  I have yet to see a warning about using Dawn.  When Consumers Reports tested the bunch widely available in 2011, they reported that they all clean equally well.  The only difference they could detect lay in the price/ounce.
Post Reply Post Reply
I, too, take my stuff into the shower. Any other way to clean the hose seems tedious.

I hold both ends of the hose up to the shower head, to let the hose fill with water. Then I drop in one drop of the natural dish soap I use in my home. And then I lift one end higher than the other, and then the other end higher, and back and forth to let it agitate a bit. And then I dump it, hold it up to the shower head to fill to rinse it. Etc.

Outside of my shower, there's a hook I hang it on to drip dry. At some point in the day, I'll take the hose, hold it in the middle, and wave it around in a circle to use Centrifugal force to get more of the water out. If I'm going to bed sooner rather than later, I'll hook the hose up to my machine and run the motor (on mask fit mode) to try to get out any more water... but I don't find that too helpful.

I don't use a brush because it seems like it would risk tearing the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2018, 01:50 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I don't use a brush because it seems like it would risk tearing the hose.

I, too, wonder about that. Keeping surfaces smooth, I would think, is a good idea for cleanliness, and a stiff brush in a soft plastic tube seems like it could roughen the surface. I wonder if there's a sponge I could pull through on a stiff nylon monofiliament (stiff to make it easier to thread through the tube, not scratchy like the steel used for hose brush rigs).
Post Reply Post Reply
After I wash my hose, I attach to my machine and turn in on for 20 seconds to get excess water
then hang it to dry
Post Reply Post Reply
i shake excess water off hose and mask assembly, connect everything back to machine, then run 'mask fit' a couple times to dry inside everything. this avoids the machine recording useless data and complaining about leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just take it in the shower with me twice a week and use Dawn. I rinse it out well and hang it up over the curtain rod. Never had issues with anything growing in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sheepless

that's a better way, I will be doing that mask fit mode
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 449 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 578 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.