Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best current medical paper tape for overnight mouth taping
Best current medical paper tape for overnight mouth taping
Hello everyone.  Yes, I tape my mouth overnight with my Cpap use as I have found it was the best for reducing mouth leaks.  May not be for everyone, but it works well for me.  

It seems recently 3M has changed their Micropore product in that the tape now leaves a gross gummy sticky residue after overnight use that it never used to do.  Really difficult to get it off.  I've seen some other reviewers on Amazon complaining about this also.  Has anyone else discovered an alternate paper medical tape brand that sticks well enough but doesn't leave that residue?  I discovered one brand called "Caring" that doesn't leave a residue but doesn't hold very well at all unless your face is freshly shaved.  So I am looking for any suggestions.  Hopefully one that you can buy in bulk (12 per box or so.)  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best current medical paper tape for overnight mouth taping
Taping your mouth is ill-advised. Note that full face masks have an anti-asphyxiation valve, a safety feature absent in tape.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepster. I should clarify.

I would never use any other tape other than medical grade PAPER tape. That paper distinction is critical as the hold on those tapes is far less than any other. Including medical tape of any other material. If one in an emergency tried to open their mouth using paper tape I don't think it would be too difficult based on the jaw strength of most individuals. I am not recommending to anyone that they use this method. But for those that do, like myself, if used the right way there can be some inherent benefits. I know a fair few of us use this method to prevent mouth leaks. When I tried a full face mask I wouldn't get any leaks but my mouth would still dry out from being open inside the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
My understanding is that cpap machines are set-up to handle a certain amount of leakage, so some leaks pose no problem. I believe the threshold for Resmed 10 is about 24 lpm...And as long as the leak period is less than 5-10% of the time, things are still being treated properly, although it's always good to try to minimize leaks.

For those experiencing leaks, I believe usage of a chin strap or a soft cervical collar are ways of minimizing them. For those who just can't get away from mouth breathing, I believe full-face-masks provide a solution.

Marillion- I realize you are accustomed to using tapes to cut down on leaks...and you are comfortable using that method. I hope you find a good replacement product. Best of luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Snoring Bear, much appreciated! The big concern I have with mouth leaks is that when your mouth dries out, it exposes you to a whole host of oral disease issues. Increased risk of gingivitis, more cavities and the increased connection between oral disease and heart health is very worrisome. I am very motivated to cut down on dry mouth issues. I have multiple chin straps and though they can prevent you opening your mouth, some air always gets past my lips so they were never the perfect solution for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
My last purchase of the 3M brand NexCare 2.4 cm wide waterproof tape (which isn't saliva-proof) was perhaps three+ months ago.  I do have the occasional bits of adhesive sticking to my upper lips, but it is somewhat easily scrubbed off with a fingertip.  It would be disappointing to learn that 3M's QA is weak and that there is a substantial disparity in quality between batches of this otherwise effective tape, which I have used successfully since Dec 2017.  In any case, I don't believe it would qualify as a 'paper' product.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2019, 02:42 PM)mesenteria Wrote: My last purchase of the 3M brand NexCare 2.4 cm wide waterproof tape (which isn't saliva-proof) was perhaps three+ months ago.  I do have the occasional bits of adhesive sticking to my upper lips, but it is somewhat easily scrubbed off with a fingertip.  It would be disappointing to learn that 3M's QA is weak and that there is a substantial disparity in quality between batches of this otherwise effective tape, which I have used successfully since Dec 2017.  In any case, I don't believe it would qualify as a 'paper' product.

Thanks for the insight!  3M's own description of the Micropore tape:

"A hypoallergenic paper tape that is gentle to the skin yet adheres well and leaves minimal adhesive residue upon removal. An economical, general purpose, breathable surgical tape. Not made with natural rubber latex. Available in white or tan."

Based on my current experiences that should be amended to "IT USED TO leave minimal adhesive residue upon removal."
Post Reply Post Reply
I had good success using 3M's "Kind Removal" tape when mouth-taping.  It uses a silicone adhesive that seems to increase slightly in adhesiveness through the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2019, 03:48 PM)Hamguy515 Wrote: I had good success using 3M's "Kind Removal" tape when mouth-taping.  It uses a silicone adhesive that seems to increase slightly in adhesiveness through the night.

Thank you for the suggestion. That tape does look good!  But dang...$68.23 (on sale on Amazon) for 12 rolls here in Canada!  I guess you get what you pay for.  I may have to try that one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2019, 04:14 PM)Marillion Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 03:48 PM)Hamguy515 Wrote: I had good success using 3M's "Kind Removal" tape when mouth-taping.  It uses a silicone adhesive that seems to increase slightly in adhesiveness through the night.

Thank you for the suggestion.  That tape does look good!  But dang...$68.23 (on sale on Amazon) for 12 rolls here in Canada!  I guess you get what you pay for.  I may have to try that one.

I've found it stocked at both Wal-Mart and Target stores here in the US, so you might be able to trial a roll before you commit to a large quantity...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.