Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best health fund for Sleep apnea claims
Question 
Best health fund for Sleep apnea claims
I would like some comments on best health fund to be in.
To claim cpap equipment .
Entitlement and the amount which will be refunded.
Would the money be refunded ( how much) if I buy from overseas.
I live in Australia.
Which is the best and most reliable site.

I really love this place.
Thanks everyone.
Libby Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best health fund for Sleep apnea claims
I don't think there's an easy answer to that. The amount you get back will depend on your fund but also which table you're on. The amount you get back is pretty derisory compared with the price of the equipment. You need to take into account all your other medical & ancillary needs as well - they will probably have a bigger influence on your decision.

I'm on Medibank Private top hospital & ancillaries, and got back $500 on a $4,000 VPAP Adapt. Another member mentioned he only got back $250 for an S9 Autoset (from MBP), while somebody else got back $750 from a different fund (can't recall which one). Each of the funds have a schedule of payments for each of the items. You need to wade through a lot of detail to find what you're looking for.

Some members have been refused a refund for gear bought overseas, while others have got the refund but only after a fight. In general, it looks like you're better off buying overseas and not worrying about the refund. There is one at least one on-line seller (one in Perth that I know of) who are offering basic machines for $0 - ie the cost of your refund. These tend to be lesser-know machines. You won't find that sort of deal on a Resmed!

Post Reply Post Reply
It gets worse - I've just been looking at the MBP site and the amount offered for "breathing apparatus" is now only $300 on the top table. You actually get more back for the following:

Consultations for naturopathy, acupuncture & remedial massage.
Consultations for myotherapy, reflexology, kinesiology, Chinese & Western herbalism, exercise physiology, shiatsu, aromatherapy, homeopathy, Bowen therapy & Alexander technique & Feldenkrais.

When the premier health fund pays more for homeopathy (which is certified bulls**t) than it does for CPAP, there's something very wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have extra cover with Bupa, they pay $500 towards the machine and nothing for anything else
You cannot claim as soon as you join, normally there is some qualifying period, check with them if can be waived. No rebate if machine purchased on-line but won,t hurt to ask. The question you have ask yourself, do you need someone at beck and call or can you take charge of your therapy so you keep track of how things is working and check with the sleep doctor now and then. I get mask parts, hoses, water tank replacement from Supplier #10, you can order on-line once you know the mask type/size otherwise its costly ordering something you have not tried or not sure going to work for you. Keep in mind machine have to be returned to place of purchase for any warranty issues, I don,t have problem with that but some do. CPAP are tax exempt but might some small tax to be paid for orders above $1000. If I want start from scratch, I would get used machine from Supplier #2, something like S9 AutoSet or Phillips Respironcis System Auto (PRS1) model number 550 or 560, PRS1 is cheaper than S9 and as good
Both suppliers #2 and #10 ship to Australia (others follow manufacturer policy and don,t ship outside US)
Suppliers list http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

FYI, ResScan don,t work with Mac computers but SleepyHead does work with windows and Mac

Post Reply Post Reply
Libby, I'm with Bupa too and got the $500 back like Zonk out of $2,500. Now I know what I'm doing, I'll buy from the US next time at about a third of the price. Also equipment and spare parts aren't covered by most insurance companies. We can try to help you if you want to purchase yours from the US as Zonk has suggested. You probably won't be able to claim anything from your insurance company but in the long run it will be cheaper, obviously you take more of a risk buying it from oversea's but it should be able to be repaired here while it is under warranty. You may want to see if they have an extended warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2014, 04:58 PM)Tez62 Wrote: obviously you take more of a risk buying it from oversea's but it should be able to be repaired here while it is under warranty. You may want to see if they have an extended warranty.
You can get the machine repaired privately out of pocket but not by the manufacturer, manufacturer warranty is not valid in Australia if you buy the machine from US. In US machine comes with two years warranty, in Australia you get an extra year warranty when you join resmed club and additional 2 years if you purchase the extended warranty (machine only, not humidifier) 5 years in total

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 220 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 550 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.