Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best mask for African nose shape?
Best mask for African nose shape?
Asking for a friend of black African origin who is having problems finding an oro-facial mask that fits properly with her shape of nose - that she describes as “typically African” i.e. wider nostrils and flatter root than a Caucasian nose.
Any suggestions please? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best mask for African nose shape?
My suggestion would be to keep trying different mask until they find one. That’s what everyone has had to do because nobody for the most part has the same facial features. What I did was I got a lifetime prescription for cpap supplies and bought masks out of pocket with return insurance from Supplier #1. I kept the ones that worked well and returned the others. If they are unable to do that try to work with the DME. That will be a challenge, at least it was for me. That’s why I got the lifetime script. Best of luck to your friend

P.S. I settled on 3 masks to use. The RedMed AirFit F20, F30 and P30i. With the P30i being my main mask
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think that a Dreamwear Medium-Wide cushion would work.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may end up being a non-obvious choice but augmented with a foam cushion cover of some kind, and after-market product.

FWIW, regardless of one's ethnicity or race, most of us don't find joy with our first couple of masks.  We keep looking, experimenting, and facing disappointment until finally something works.  Cool 

I hope our asker gets relief.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at the Bleep. No head gear and it attaches to ANY shape/size nose. On the outside. Worth taking a look, I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I know what an African nose looks like from the front, but I’ve never taken an intimate peek up the nostrils. My guess is that they are rounder than my large-but-narrow nostrils. That suggests a P30i (my favorite) or P10.

The N30 in size small-wide might be an option, but I haven’t tried it.

I suspect the F20 may cause some restriction in the nose due to pressing on the sides.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for the replies. My friend is going to try the Resmed Air Foam mask first, then try your suggestions.

It's strange though that so few people replied - is there any evidence that people of Afro-Caribbean origin are less affected by aleep apnoea?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am extremely cautious in responding to anything that is of "racial" background. I see PEOPLE, and all people are different, BUT when I have described someones "features" as Africian I was called into the "Bosses" office and reprimanded. I no longer view the woman that accused me as a woman, but as a "black" woman, with all the baggage that comes with that.

The fact is that masks are very individual and must be tried on. Masks are, in fact, color blind. A wide version of a mask may or may not work.
Post Reply Post Reply
"is there any evidence that people of Afro-Caribbean origin are less affected by sleep apnoea?"

For males the evidence is that the opposite is true.
Men(regardless of race) are significantly more likely to be diagnosed with sleep apnea then woman(by about 3-1).

The first question on the Stop-Bang Sleep Apnea screening questionnaire is whether or not you snore loud enough that your partner elbows you or you can be heard through a wall. It's generally socially acceptable for a wife to complain about her husband's snoring...the opposite if may not true.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, the F20 Air Touch did not work at all. The foam tended to turn under, pressing in the sides of my nose. This caused even more congestion than the F20. My nose is not even remotely African in shape though.

I may be wrong, but I suspect people of African descent are disproportionately under-treated for apnea all over the world. It is also possible that they are actually less susceptible due to physiological differences, but I doubt it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.