Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is There A Maximum Age For CPAP?
RE: Is There A Maximum Age For CPAP?
(03-03-2016, 07:47 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: CPA at max pressure is still very, very little pressure. Not enough to blow up a balloon. Less than 5% of the pressure required to blow up a balloon.

I kind of roll my eyes when someone talks about CPAP "blowing out their lungs".
Get asthma or COPD or a deviated septum or lungs that perform below average or other conditions that it's not uncommon for apnea sufferers to have and then tell me how when someone talks about it you roll your eyes Smile. Many times people aren't even aware that their lung performance is sub-optimal unless they've been tested, they just know they have a hard time using cpap. This is why some have to move to bilevel machines.

Sometimes of course it's just a matter of adapting. But I'm not sure what the amount of pressure has to do with peoples subjective experiences of feeling that their lungs are being blown up. If I flick you in the nose with my finger as hard as I can it's probably much force but I bet I could get you to grimace Grin.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2016, 10:56 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote: Sometimes of course it's just a matter of adapting. But I'm not sure what the amount of pressure has to do with peoples subjective experiences of feeling that their lungs are being blown up. If I flick you in the nose with my finger as hard as I can it's probably much force but I bet I could get you to grimace Grin.

It has nothing to do with "feeling that their lungs are being blown up". It has to do with some unfounded fear that a person's lungs will actually explode from CPAP use - that the little alveoli will burst. Not gonna happen. But if it did, apnea and CPAP would likely have been WAY down on that person's list of problems.

And I advise against flicking my nose. That rarely ends well.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2016, 06:31 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: It has nothing to do with "feeling that their lungs are being blown up". It has to do with some unfounded fear that a person's lungs will actually explode from CPAP use - that the little alveoli will burst.
Ah, I've never seen that fear expressed, what I've seen expressed many times is that someones lungs hurt, or they have a hard time breathing against the pressure, or they feel as though their lungs are being over expanded. I thought that is what you were commenting on. Luckily, that avoids me having to flick your nose, so I guess I'll never know what would have happened.

I get a kick out of your screen name BTW.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2016, 10:33 AM)Dreams of Green Wrote: Ah, I've never seen that fear expressed, what I've seen expressed many times is that someones lungs hurt, or they have a hard time breathing against the pressure, or they feel as though their lungs are being over expanded.

What hurts is probably their diaphragm which is getting a workout it isn't used to. Like any other muscle it hurts when exercised, and like any other muscle it will adapt. Most people who aren't trained singers or wind instrument players don't use their diaphragm very much. One of the first things I got told about when I first took lessons was "breathe from your diaphragm", or "breath with your tummy, not your shoulders" - and when I tried it felt funny and hurt a bit until the muscle got used to it. And I formed the habit and have done it ever since, so had no problem with CPAP that way.

Your lungs are in a confined space and can't expand very much, and the alveoli would feel a compression if anything which, since they are basically little bags of water (as is everything else in your body, more or less) they won't do. If anything expands it will be the diaphragm, and the unexpected exercise can cause some soreness as with any muscle that isn't used to being exercised.

Sure it takes getting used to, and people should be warned about it. I think coaching of beginning sleep apnea patients is very often lousy and a few half hours spent explaining how their body is going to react would be a good investment for anyone selling machines who cares about more than just the sales.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ed,
Your comments about the diaphragm getting a workout is on point.

I experienced this early on in my treatment. I actually thought I was having heart issues with the pain of just breathing. I even made my doc recheck to see if my lungs were ok. I was sucking in a lot of air breathing so hard.

This is a learned process, and it would be nice to see docs and sleep techs coach their patients before using the machine. I'm sure that's expecting too much, Sad
but would save some folk excess anxiety.

player,
I hope that our insurance system/government never try's to put an age limit on using Cpap. It's something I wouldn't put past them though.
As long as I can breath, Wink I will use it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you might be too old for cpap when you are unable to breathe anymore Bigwink
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2016, 03:14 AM)DariaVader Wrote: I think you might be too old for cpap when you are unable to breathe anymore Bigwink

GoodOne Yep, that was my point, as long as I can breath....

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Maximum pressure in heart failure? edgnoj 0 484 11-04-2022, 04:58 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  What is the maximum pressure for the AirCurve 10 V Auto and AirCurve 10 S (fixed pres KeepSmiling 3 625 10-31-2022, 10:31 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  BiPAP pressures at maximum Chalkie 15 1,819 09-12-2021, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  Maximum total run hours bsnelson 4 2,859 01-05-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Reaching maximum IPAP - Time to change settings? Frajola81 56 4,079 12-21-2020, 06:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask test: what determines maximum pressure fredkahan 2 803 12-10-2020, 04:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Minimum and Maximum Pressure Settings upsman 3 2,980 05-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Last Post: upsman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.