Best nasal pillows for sleepers that move around?
Laevelder Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Best nasal pillows for sleepers that move around?
I use the Swift FX nasal pillows since I have been introduced to CPAP 2 months ago. It works well but tends to develop a leak when I turn over and this wakes me up to make a small adjustment. I read about the Pilairo and would like to ask opinions regarding the most leak resistant nasal pillows for high movement sleepers like myself.
09-11-2013 03:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

RE: Best nasal pillows for sleepers that move around?
We've seen mixed reviews of the Pilairo. The Wisp in newer and again, we've seen mixed reviews. You just have to try them for yourself and see what works for you. There are too many variables, such as face shape and sleeping position, that can make it difficult to find the right mask.

I recommend a good pillow such as the Papillow. It helps me keep my mask on as I shift sleeping positions.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-12-2013 06:14 AM
jrcat7 Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed S9 - Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift-FX
Humidifier: Resmed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Contec CMS-50F oximeter

I had the same problem initially with the Redmed Swift-FX. Solved it by slightly tightening the strap that goes around the back of my head. No trouble since.
12-08-2013 09:17 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Bobshouse Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Tap Pap or The Breeze
Humidifier: Resmed H5I
CPAP Pressure: 10 Auto to 20

Other Comments:

Any mask with straps will loosen up when your laying down with your cheek on a pillow, usually causing a leak. The Breeze is great, less leaks because it doesn't have straps that compress when your face hits the pillow.

The best mask on the market, IMHO, is the Tap Pap. No headgear at all. I've been on CPAP for the past 13 years, and I can honestly say, I have never slept better with any other mask.
12-08-2013 05:53 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

The Breeze is great for side sleepers, not so much for when you are on your back. The problem with most nasal pillows is they are so light weight, it doesn't take much of a tug on the hose for them to come loose. Avoid any where the hose is NOT routed over the head. If the hose dangles down from the nose, it's going to come loose in a heartbeat unless you rig it to go up over the head. This way the initial pull/tug is at that connection point on the headgear, not the nose piece.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-08-2013 06:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
drmick3 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Auto Set
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics WISP
Humidifier: ResMed H51
CPAP Pressure: Min 5, Max 20

Other Comments: Newly diagnosed chronic OSA

(12-08-2013 06:30 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  The Breeze is great for side sleepers, not so much for when you are on your back. The problem with most nasal pillows is they are so light weight, it doesn't take much of a tug on the hose for them to come loose. Avoid any where the hose is NOT routed over the head. If the hose dangles down from the nose, it's going to come loose in a heartbeat unless you rig it to go up over the head. This way the initial pull/tug is at that connection point on the headgear, not the nose piece.

Hi! Its me again, browsing through the information to find the best mask for sleeping on your side, rolling over to the other side, etc.

I have looked over the Swift FX, Breeze and WISP (nasal mask), as well as the Tap Pap (although the technician where I did my first, recent sleep study said it was essentially the CPAP Pro, which only 15 % of people kept.

I think I'd like to start out with a Nasal Mask and the WISP looks really good, since the mask doesn't hit the pillow, and the elbox swivels, plus it has a hole in the strap at the top of the head you can funnel the hose through so it goes over your head.

What's your opinion of the WISP, and are there any other masks for somone like myself that alternates sides to sleep on?
I-love-Apnea-Board
12-16-2013 08:57 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

I am having great results with Wisp and have been using it since Nov 26. If you are a mouth breather, you may need a chin strap.
12-16-2013 09:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
drmick3 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Auto Set
Mask Make & Model: Respironics WISP
Humidifier: ResMed H51
CPAP Pressure: Min 5, Max 20

Other Comments: Newly diagnosed chronic OSA

(12-16-2013 09:27 PM)me50 Wrote:  I am having great results with Wisp and have been using it since Nov 26. If you are a mouth breather, you may need a chin strap.

I saw a YouTube video of the WISP and it said the hose had a swivel on BOTH ends.

I understand and like a swivel where the hose attaches to the WISP but I don't understand what the swivel at the other end does for you (particularly when it is located just past the hole in the head strap on top of the head.

I suppose some swivel there "might" be somewhat useful but this is where I would like some comments from those of you who like/dislike this swiveling feature on BOTH ends.Sleep-well
12-17-2013 07:18 AM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

I don't know about a swivel on the end that attaches to the climate line tubing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0cAYXY1s8s This video shows the wisp and unless I don't understand what you are saying, I don't know of a swivel at the end that attaches to your tubing.
12-17-2013 08:35 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Donna Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: REMstar Pro C-Flex+ Auto IQ
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp
Humidifier: System One Heated
CPAP Pressure: 10

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

I've been using the wisp for about six weeks now. I had previously used Swift FX nasal pillows for the past two years but I, too, found that everytime I turned from side to side the pillows dislodged or I got all tangled up in the hose and about hung myself. I have found wisp to be a better fit for me. My large air leaks have decreased dramatically. Looping the hose over the head keeps it from wrapping around my neck, a definite plus. That does, however, obstruct your view somewhat if you read in bed or watch TV.

I wish we could be more helpful in your journey to find a perfect, or at least tolerable mask. It's very difficult to advise on masks since everyone has different facial structure and very different tolerance levels. What works for one person may not be acceptable for others. Trial and error is the only way to find your best fit.
12-17-2013 08:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ResMed Swift LT Nasal Pillows system [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 2 4,186 05-31-2012 01:50 PM
Last Post: Sallybags
  CPAP Pro Nasal Pillows System [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 3 5,052 05-09-2012 03:50 PM
Last Post: stew0001
  ResMed Mirage Swift Nasal Pillows System [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 3 5,818 04-28-2012 07:33 AM
Last Post: GregCavalier