Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Sex: Male

Best night's sleep in a month -- arthritis in hip
Last night was my best night's sleep in at least a month.

CPAP is great but my hip was causing me to need to move and reposition my leg almost constantly all night long for a good portion of most nights.

About 10 days ago, my orthopedist gave me Diclofenac which worked to reduce the MUCH WORSE problem from the then previous few weeks but it was at best 80% effective on the pain and did far less for the times when I was quiet and trying to sleep (no distractions.)

But night before last was even worse than the previous 9 days and almost as bad as the worst before I got the Diclofenac. (Admittedly I had worked out that night after skipping two practices the week before.)

Yesterday, I went to the radiologist (had to be scoped) to get a cortisone shot in the hip.

Actually, leaving the leg immobile for 10 minutes caused the type of discomfort I get at night -- the injection itself (including the Lidocaine which is supposed to burn was FINE.)

Radiologist said it would feel better perhaps for about an hour until the Lidocaine wore off and then it might be 2 hours or a couple of days until the coritisone did its magic.

Actually, it mostly felt better from there on out. The lidocaine helped, it wore off and a little stiffness might have returned but basically the bad pain was gone.

Leg (hip/thigh, esp. gluteus and quad) still feels WEAK but is not QUITE a pain when walking -- just makes me careful.

Not once last night did my leg need to be moved due to pain or discomfort. To my knowledge I never work up DUE to the leg.

(I did wake a few times, to roll over as is my usual practice, but these were just momentary events.)

Actually got about 8 hours SLEEP (not just bed/machine time) and woke up earlier than the clock by quite a margin. Only time that has happened lately is when I was driven out of bed by pain on the bad nights.

Much happier Dancing (not quite) -- it wasn't so much the PAIN as it was the discomfort and the inability to DO THINGS, including sitting, walking, standing, working out, and SLEEPING. Smile

Every step and even every moment in bed had turned into a conscious effort.

Oh, the radiologist and ortho said that it would likely last from 2 weeks to 2 months, to 6 months or more.

Hoping that since my hip wasn't previously giving me significant trouble it might be a bit more semi-permanent than that even....

We'll see.

For perspective: I could easily stand to get this done every 6 months if that brought this level of relief. I would probably be HAVE to get it done every 2 weeks to 2 months if my bad pain returned (and it was safe and effective enough.)

Also, makes me want to try this in (both of) my knees for my long term knee problems -- previously I had deferred the opportunity as a temporary fix and no long term solution since my knees were tolerable even if difficult to use.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
05-07-2014 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Best night's sleep in a month -- arthritis in hip
I'm glad it worked for you. I tried a series of shots from a pain doc a while back and got minimal results. I also once tried one directly into a joint (shoulder) and it went horribly wrong. My shoulder was immobile for over a week.

One thing to keep in mind is that the root cause of the pain is still there. The pain is being masked. So don't do something stupid and injure that joint! Treat it the same way you always have.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-07-2014 10:57 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

First off, Diclofenac is one of my all-time favorite NSAIDs ever made~! Sadly, due to now being on blood thinners the rest of my life, I can never take it again. Anyhow, just an FYI in case you happen to not be aware? All NSAIDs work *best* if taken every single day around the same time, whether you are hurting or not. Yes, of course they will help if taken randomly for pain, but to get all the magic, daily use is best.

The problem with the shots is that each consecutive shot you get will last a shorter period than the last one did. If you are lucky, and the first one lasts you six months, then you have a pretty good plan for a few years. But if you only get 90 days or so, rather quickly the shots will feel like water. In general, *most* Docs won't give you more than three shots yearly. Mainly due to the possible negative side-effects. Many Orthos do not feel that way, and are willing to do a max of once per month, as long as they are helping.

The primary use of the shots are two-fold; one, is hoping it is a temporary issue, that with exercise will get better and go away. Or that it was a case of bad-overuse and the shot will help you get past the pain of the body repairing itself. Lastly, the shots are used as a way to determine if the joint must be replaced (giving pain-free, or less pain) while trying other options prior to scheduling a replacement.

I wish you the best Herb~! We all are different, so my story may not be anything like what your story is, or will become.

Please be aware that the shots will play havoc with your blood-sugar. Studies have shown that the shots will increase the loss of cartilage in the joint injected with repeated shots (not a concern if the joint is already bone-on-bone). I went from the shots being a miracle to it being like a water injection in less than two years - but it did gain me another 18 months driving long-haul.

Quality of life becomes a big issue with pain. My right hip would give me such intense pain that I could not walk without falling repeatedly. I for one am a big fan of joint replacement. It has not made me pain-free in the replaced joints, but the improvement overall (for me) was well worth doing.

If you know all of the above already - I'm sorry to have wasted your time, but not knowing what you already know, I wrote this in hopes that it might be a help.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2014 12:55 PM by Peter_C.)
05-07-2014 12:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Paula and Peter:

Thanks for thoughts, advice, etc. Not a waste of time at all.

I agree about not using the masking of pain to misuse the joint -- that's the reason for my always declining the knee shots so far, and taking VERY LITTLE NSAIDs (Although, Paul, I used the NSAIDs the opposite way, more like the cortisone by taking a higher but safe does every few weeks to break the inflamation cycle.)

Paula: Good thing about the Hip injection is that it was REQUIRED to have it under a fluoroscope so mistake chances were minimal. Ortho said he does knees and shoulders in the office but always has to send patient out for hips.

Carol (my wife) didn't get that much help from her knee injection.

I finally had a little bit of twinge today, but it was no big deal except that I am monitoring it closely for improvement and sustainment of benefit.

My hip has pretty good chances of benefitting longer term since it hasn't been chronically inflamed. Don't know if it's sensible to try that with the knees but will ask the surgeon (ortho) when I go back in 10 days to follow up on the hip.

I really think some serious rehab and/or yoga is needed now -- especially for the hips.

Paul: Yes, the pain is terribly discouraging. Falling so much must have been awful -- far worse than what was happening to me and mine was bad enough.

I teach and proselytize on the benefits of falling well so even that wouldn't have been as bad for me probably. In my combatives training classes, I tell students: You may never get attacked by a criminal the rest of your life, but I can guarantee if you live long enough YOU WILL FALL, so learn to fall well, safely, and comfortably.

Falling is something that happens to me a LOT, but it is always comfortable and not related to my pain or knee issues in everyday life. And FYI, we don't just do this on mats but also on hard floors, the ground, and even concrete some of the time.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
05-07-2014 01:17 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Hehe - as a fat guy, learning to fall is a must to not break things. No formal training here, but neither any fall damage (so far) in all my many years of falling. It just does not feel good, look good, it's embarrassing to me, getting wet, etc..

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
05-07-2014 01:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I've got a something another on my spine at L4 and am losing sensation in my legs. So I don't fall. I test gravity. You're welcome.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-07-2014 05:51 PM
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

(05-07-2014 05:51 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  . So I don't fall. I test gravity. You're welcome.

Laugh-a-lotDielaughing
Coffee
05-08-2014 08:34 AM

Donate to Apnea Board