Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best soft collar?
Best soft collar?
I've seen soft cervical collars mentioned several times on here to help deal with mouth leaks and aerophagia.  Can someone recommend a good brand?  

And also if you find collars more comfortable and effective than chinstraps? 

Side note, I just discovered Somnifix mouth tape strips.  Good stuff! It prevents mouth breathing but I can still get aeophagia and minor mouth leaks with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best soft collar?
I like the soft cervical collars much better than chin straps. Check on Amazon.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with WW, Amazon has a lot of selections for all neck sizes. One size does not fit all, so measure your neck circumference and add a couple inches. Also, measure for height. You don’t want to buy a collar that is too tall or too short.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For names, you can look at anything that appeals to you. I think a couple I have seen include the Caldera Releaf and Nine Max. Be sure to get a size that easily fits around your neck and comfortably supports the jaw. No need for a collar that is rigid or intended to treat injuries.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased a soft cervical collar made by Bell-Horn at a small town regular pharmacy where I could see them first rather than ordering off Amazon where they are also sold--only a couple of dollars more. There are sizing charts--I recommend using them so the Velcro part of the collar (back) overlaps in back so you don't have the scratchy part on your neck. Mine is a little wider in the side and back than the front--you need to make certain it doesn't interfere with your headgear. Mine almost does--tight fit for Wisp headgear and my earlobes! I got 2.5" and think I will try a 2" next time--I have a short neck. There is a universal size ( circumference) which I have--quite a bit of overlap in the back for me. Mine works and is comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a anti-Snoring collar from Dr Dakota. It is actually a half collar with a strap around the back. Comfortable and less product touching your already crowded neck and face. The full collar was too much for me. I bought mine on AMZ.
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought the soft foam one from a local drug store. Initially bought the 2-1/2" then after a month switched to the 3-1/2" once AHI started creeping back up. That lasted a few weeks then I notices that it had compressed to about the same size as the 2-1/2". So I bought the Caldera Releaf Neck Rest off of Amazon and boy what a difference. First night was rough as it felt stiff and restrictive(I had it to tight). After that, beautiful. Just took a day or two to break in and now movement is much better but with greater support for chin. Keeps my chin at least an inch higher than the 2 foam ones ever did. My neck seems much more straight and now sleep with more of my head on the pillow. I love the way the Caldera uses your collar bone area for support and is roughly the same size all the way around. Individual foam pockets so it should not squish like the last 2. It is a beast but comfortable and it works. Just make sure to get the proper size. I am a small man, 160 Lbs and a 15" neck roughly and I needed the large.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Kosoku, that's nice to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have only been using a cervical collar for a week, upon the suggestion of the Board folk.

I took the "bargain" approach and bought this one at Walgreens for about $15.  One Size/ID 6184044. Commercial Link Removed.

The product illustration doesn't show it, but there is a "dip" in the collar under your chin that narrows the width about an inch and provides a very comfortable fit for me. 

I also looked at Walgreen's adjustable one (about $5 more) but didn't think I would use the adjustment feature. Don't think I'm missing it.

I have to say, reading this thread, I like the looks of the Dr. Dakota collar (aka "Sleeping & CPAP Accessory). Makes sense that something that doesn't wrap fully around the back would be more comfortable!

Anyway, my basic soft collar has really helped to keep my mouth closed (I'm historically a mouth breather) when using the Dreamwear nasal cusion mask. My wife is happy that I'm no longer making gargling noises during mouth leaks and my AHI with nasal mask is improved. For me, a basic chin strap was worthless as it stretched too easily, and the top-closure was "too much" given that the Dreamwear mask also goes across the top.

FYI and happy collar hunting.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
following up on gregger's post: I've only one collar and only one night so far so can't compare. However, I bought the adjustable Walgreen collar at $20. it adjusts 11-20 inches / 27.9 - 50.8 cm in length. more importantly for me, having a short stubby neck reaching to the tip of my receded chin, the height is also adjustable. doesn't say by how much on the box but looks like about 3.5 inches unadjusted. using internal drawstrings I have it crunched down to close to 2.5 inches and it'll narrow down still more. only problem I noticed was it's hot and made my neck sweat. don't know if that's common or not.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 223 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 548 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 426 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 357 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 362 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 534 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.