Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best soft collar?
RE: Best soft collar?
(05-23-2018, 04:28 PM)Allessio77 Wrote: I use a  anti-Snoring collar from Dr Dakota. It is actually a half collar with a strap around the back. Comfortable and less product touching your already crowded neck and face. The full collar was too much for me. I bought mine on AMZ.

Digging this idea! The Walgreens one with the "dip" in the width for under the chin works fabulously but I agree, there's no actual need for a full-circumference collar if all you're doing is keeping your mouth closed.

I found a Dr Dakota lower-cost alternative on Amazon, item 4335349989.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2018, 01:12 PM)gregger Wrote: <snip>
I found a Dr Dakota lower-cost alternative on Amazon, item 4335349989.

That's a good find; thanks I'm giving it a tryout!
Post Reply Post Reply
The off-topic thread about dealing with collar sweat can be discussed here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...inst-sweat

This thread is to discuss member's experience with various brands and styles of soft cervical collar, with the idea of sharing what works best. The moderators will split a thread from time to time to keep it on topic. There is no need to reply to this post.

Thanks
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SB,

I received that item from Amazon yesterday and gave it a try last night. Preliminary feedback:
  • Material covering the "wedge" is soft and comfortable.
  • Height of the wedge at the "outside" is about 2-1/2 inches and I think is enough for me. Not quite as high / snug-fitting as my Walgreens soft cervical collar, but it seemed to do the trick the first night. I need to try a few more nights and report on any mouth leak.
  • Fact that the cushion does not go all the way (needlessly) around back of neck is a big plus! I was able to use more of a regular pillow, instead of the really flat one I've been using with the full collar. This is a plus for travel (don't like having to stuff a special pillow into the suitcase). It's also a big plus for when I do go for a little side sleep. The flat pillow is just not comfortable enough for that.
  • Velcro strap seems too long. But pulling all the fabric covering aside reveals that it can be adjusted (via another long strip of velcro) to be much shorter--which I did, as I wear only a 15-1/2 shirt collar.
  • Supplier says they will send you a free "back-up" of the product if you document an "unbiased 5-star review" on the site where you bought it (most likely Amazon).  What? An unbiased review to get a free collar??? Hahaha. If you feel guilty about the ethics of that, no sweat...just pardon yourself!! (Hahaha...)
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us know how it works out and feel free to use the Reviews section of the forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
gregger, is that 2.5" height the regular size? thought I'd read the large is 4" but my recollection is hazy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sheepless, 

Amazon 4335349989, aka "The Eliminator Series Sleep Aid Cushion Travel Sleep Pillow Cushion," (short and sweet, eh?) only comes in one size.  It costs 11.97 for electric blue, and $4 more for a dignified soft gray. (Again, funny, aren't these folks??)

It might be a tad bigger than I've described. Later this evening I'll be able to measure it and give you a better idea, as well as a second night's feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2018, 06:10 PM)gregger Wrote: Sheepless, 

Amazon 4335349989, aka "The Eliminator Series Sleep Aid Cushion Travel Sleep Pillow Cushion," (short and sweet, eh?) only comes in one size.  It costs 11.97 for electric blue, and $4 more for a dignified soft gray. (Again, funny, aren't these folks??)

It might be a tad bigger than I've described. Later this evening I'll be able to measure it and give you a better idea, as well as a second night's feedback.

Eagerly awaiting feedback. I'm using a Caldera Releaf neck collar and it's surprisingly OK. I am a hot sleeper and it hasn't bothered me too much. I imagine it should be more comfortable than a full collar like that?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2018, 03:42 AM)sleeplover69 Wrote: Eagerly awaiting feedback. I'm using a Caldera Releaf neck collar and it's surprisingly OK. I am a hot sleeper and it hasn't bothered me too much. I imagine it should be more comfortable than a full collar like that?

My apologies for the foot-dragging. I have been waiting to post a conclusive comparison between the Eliminator and the conventional collar but other variables have crept in. I can certainly say that the Eliminator is less bulky and of course with nothing but a soft strap for about 2/3 of the total circumference, it's bound to be cooler. I see from the pictures of the Releaf that it has substantially more material than the Eliminator, but it certainly looks comfy!

I will post the actual max "height" later today when I can measure it. It is shorter than my conventional collar and my gut says it won't be quite as effective for me personally, but I have a fair long neck. (If I conclude that is the case, I might "boost" mine by adding another crescent-moon shaped slice of soft foam, say 1/2 thick, taped to the underside.) I think of using the Eliminator at least for travel because it's so compact.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2018, 09:48 AM)gregger Wrote: I will post the actual max "height" later today when I can measure it. 

I'm traveling with it now. As you can see from the Amazon listing pictures, it's narrow near the neck strap and increases in width until max at center (under chin), which is exactly same height as a credit card is long...3.375".
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 534 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 318 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 637 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 476 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 388 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 583 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 401 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.