Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best soft collar?
RE: Best soft collar?
I just ordered an Eliminator for my Dad before you got to reply. I couldn't even find much info on its measurements and ordered it anyway. His neck is like 4" high and 17.2" around so I wonder how it'll work out for him come judgment day. It sucks that it wasn't high enough for you being one size. 

The Releaf is only 3.5" high at the center and goes up to 4" on either side, so it's only slightly higher than the Eliminator. I don't know if that's high enough for you. It's very soft and surprisingly comfortable. You don't feel it too much once you lie down to sleep. But given its material it can wear hot though if the AC in your room isn't adequate. I wish it were more breathable. So far I've only taken it off once but always managed to put it back on before falling asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am trying the Eliminator with a folded face cloth between the cushion and my collarbone to prop it up another 1" or so. Doing so is comfortable. Last night it happened I had a high leak rate but that's not unusual with my FFM so I can't blame it on the cushion. So I'll try with the nasal cushion or pillows tonight to see if I can replicate my best numbers with the foam collar. More later...
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2018, 05:14 PM)gregger Wrote: I am trying the Eliminator with a folded face cloth between the cushion and my collarbone to prop it up another 1" or so. Doing so is comfortable. ...

Hey gregger, it would be good if you started a new thread for this.  That will have two benefits: a) keep this thread exploring different collars; and b) let me keep updated on your experiments! Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2018, 07:28 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: Hey gregger, it would be good if you started a new thread for this.  That will have two benefits: a) keep this thread exploring different collars; and b) let me keep updated on your experiments! Laugh-a-lot

Hey SB, I get your point and I appreciate it. As it happens, I'm ready to complete my findings for this thread. (I have linked other people to this thread for basic advice and alternatives on Soft Collars; at Sleeprider's suggestion I'll be posting a review of a couple of devices to the correct forum.) 

Regarding the Eliminator, the rolled-up face cloth worked like a charm. Note, it was a thin, cheap "motel variety"...Hampton Inn to be precise...with a rubber band around it to keep it rolled up. I slept like a baby last night thanks to Afrin, gel pillows nasal mask and the Eliminator+Roll-Up. I got 0.5 AHI which tells me mouth leak was fully controlled. 

"And in conclusion, your honor...." I agree with others that soft collars are perhaps the least expensive, least complex and least frustrating way for many users to immediately improve their therapy, by eliminating a common yet major source of OA! They're easier and more comfortable for many users than a chin strip for eliminating slack-jaw / open-mouth / chin-tuck / whatchacallit. (And yes, I had  trained myself to prevent mouth leaking most of the night, by closing my mouth or sleeping with tongue-to-palate...but...when I'm really  tired and sleeping soundly, anything can happen.)

No need to take my word for it...$15 and a visit to the corner drugstore can get anyone started; fine tuning with the "collar of your dreams" can come later. Good luck and good sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
Great post Gregger.  We strive to make CPAP therapy comfortable, and I have seen people present on this forum with in excess of 30 AHI, with incredible clusters of obstructive apnea, end up with less than 2-AHI by simply adding a collar to their therapy. Better therapy at lower pressures for less than $20.  Hard to beat, and it happens time and time again.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 05:20 PM)gregger Wrote:
(06-12-2018, 07:28 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: Hey gregger, it would be good if you started a new thread for this.  That will have two benefits: a) keep this thread exploring different collars; and b) let me keep updated on your experiments! Laugh-a-lot

Hey SB, I get your point and I appreciate it. As it happens, I'm ready to complete my findings for this thread. (I have linked other people to this thread for basic advice and alternatives on Soft Collars; at Sleeprider's suggestion I'll be posting a review of a couple of devices to the correct forum.) 

Regarding the Eliminator, the rolled-up face cloth worked like a charm. Note, it was a thin, cheap "motel variety"...Hampton Inn to be precise...with a rubber band around it to keep it rolled up. I slept like a baby last night thanks to Afrin, gel pillows nasal mask and the Eliminator+Roll-Up. I got 0.5 AHI which tells me mouth leak was fully controlled. 

"And in conclusion, your honor...." I agree with others that soft collars are perhaps the least expensive, least complex and least frustrating way for many users to immediately improve their therapy, by eliminating a common yet major source of OA! They're easier and more comfortable for many users than a chin strip for eliminating slack-jaw / open-mouth / chin-tuck / whatchacallit. (And yes, I had  trained myself to prevent mouth leaking most of the night, by closing my mouth or sleeping with tongue-to-palate...but...when I'm really  tired and sleeping soundly, anything can happen.)

No need to take my word for it...$15 and a visit to the corner drugstore can get anyone started; fine tuning with the "collar of your dreams" can come later. Good luck and good sleep!

Glad to hear your solution works. How do you keep the face cloth fastened to the underside of the Eliminator collar?
Post Reply Post Reply
sleeplover69, I believe he mentioned rubber bands; maybe that was only to keep the towel in place and the collar traps the towel without needing to fasten it to the collar?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am writing an article in the wiki addressing soft cervical collars. We have seen how effective they are and the collar is raised as a potential solution for a lot of complaints/issues nearly everyday.

I would like for anyone with ideas that they feel are important to include in the wiki to please post their thoughts. The idea of the wiki is to introduce folks to collars and how they are sized and fitted so that we can continue to see success of this very useful tool.

Most people think of collar use in neck injury and rehab patients, but it has been proven successful, in many, to prevent clustered apnea and mouth breathing.

I look forward to everyones recommendation and I thank everyone that has posted to this thread already because you all have educated me and inspired me.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the great replies to this thread so far. I finally ordered the "Eliminator" soft collar from Amazon.  I tried it on today and it's way too small for me.  I'm 6'3" and lanky.  I ordered the Dr. Dakota LARGE collar, it arrives tomorrow.  To be continued....
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know MrZennie. What size shirt collar do you normally wear?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 226 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 550 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 426 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 359 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 362 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 535 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.