Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best soft collar?
RE: Best soft collar?
My shirt collar is between 15.5 and 16. To be clear, it's too small due to the size of the cushion/pillow, not the strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2018, 02:28 PM)MrZennie Wrote: My shirt collar is between 15.5 and 16. To be clear, it's too small due to the size of the cushion/pillow, not the strap.

Too late to help you, but it's a little short for me, and I was "diagnosed" by a nurse trying to move my head around to take x-rays of my neck for whiplash damage as: "You've got NO NECK!"

I struggled to find a collar that would work, and this one almost does with no tall sides that would interfere with the fit.  However, the taller collars don't have the extra support between chin and chest – I'm skeptical that they would be effective.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I just tried the large Dr. Dakota one last night. It fits better for my tall neck than the Eliminator for sure but unfortunately when I sleep on my side with it I STILL swallow air. The only think left to try for side sleeping for me is a chinstrap but I'm 99% sure that won't work either. Sad It looks like I have to sleep exclusively on my back now while using the cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2018, 12:25 PM)Kosoku Wrote: I bought the soft foam one from a local drug store. Initially bought the 2-1/2" then after a month switched to the 3-1/2" once AHI started creeping back up.  That lasted a few weeks then I notices that it had compressed to about the same size as the 2-1/2". So I bought the Caldera Releaf Neck Rest off of Amazon and boy what a difference. First night was rough as it felt stiff and restrictive(I had it to tight). After that, beautiful. Just took a day or two to break in and now movement is much better but with greater support for chin. Keeps my chin at least an inch higher than the 2 foam ones ever did. My neck seems much more straight and now sleep with more of my head on the pillow. I love the way the Caldera uses your collar bone area for support and is roughly the same size all the way around. Individual foam pockets so it should not squish like the last 2. It is a beast but comfortable and it works. Just make sure to get the proper size. I am a small man, 160 Lbs and a 15" neck roughly and I needed the large.
Thanks so much!  Great response. helps me a lot.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 06:21 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Great post Gregger.  We strive to make CPAP therapy comfortable, and I have seen people present on this forum with in excess of 30 AHI, with incredible clusters of obstructive apnea, end up with less than 2-AHI by simply adding a collar to their therapy. Better therapy at lower pressures for less than $20.  Hard to beat, and it happens time and time again.

Great response!  Thank you.
I want to try a cervical collar.  However, I was lost searching on Amazon

I used a simple rectangular pad secured by an old camera bag strap for years

I finally found a chin strap that works; however, they stretch and eventually slip off...
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 06:21 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Great post Gregger.  We strive to make CPAP therapy comfortable, and I have seen people present on this forum with in excess of 30 AHI, with incredible clusters of obstructive apnea, end up with less than 2-AHI by simply adding a collar to their therapy. Better therapy at lower pressures for less than $20.  Hard to beat, and it happens time and time again.

I finally found a chin strap that works; however, they stretch and eventually slip off...
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2018, 02:09 PM)DaveL Wrote: I want to try a cervical collar.  However, I was lost searching on Amazon

Try searching for, "Caldera Releaf Neck Rest",.  A regular cervical collar can get very warn during the summer months.  This one is considerably cooler. So much for their spelling.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2018, 03:12 PM)MrZennie Wrote: Yeah, I just tried the large Dr. Dakota one last night.  It fits better for my tall neck than the Eliminator for sure ...

I looked into ordering that one on Amazon...but really, $30 for some foam, fabric and velcro!

I am still tucking my little rolled up facecloth under the standard size Eliminator for travel. (To the earlier question, I am not attaching it in any way; a loose rubber band is just used around the "roll" to keep it rolled up. It stays in place just because it's a snug fit.)

Meanwhile at home I'm doing that or using the taller Walgreens cervical collar. I would like to see The Eliminator offered in a larger (taller) size.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2018, 02:37 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 02:28 PM)MrZennie Wrote: My shirt collar is between 15.5 and 16. To be clear, it's too small due to the size of the cushion/pillow, not the strap.

It's a little frustrating that most of the product info for these products is about the circumference around the neck (okay, fine, but for most the large range of adjustment on the Velcro strap would accommodate anyone outside of professional wrestlers...

The REAL sizing topic for CPAP users, as you've pinpointed, is the HEIGHT of the collar or wedge, and therefore its ability to keep one's mouth closed during sleep. That's achieved by obtaining a snug fit from the bottom of your chin to the place on your breastbone or chest where the collar rests. Dr. Dakota is offered in two sizes; the large is supposedly 6" tall, while the regular size and The Eliminator would appear to be about 3 to 3.5" tall.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 539 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 319 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 639 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 477 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 388 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 585 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 401 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.