Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best soft collar?
RE: Best soft collar?
(06-21-2018, 03:12 PM)MrZennie Wrote: Yeah, I just tried the large Dr. Dakota one last night.  It fits better for my tall neck than the Eliminator for sure but unfortunately when I sleep on my side with it I STILL swallow air.  The only think left to try for side sleeping for me is a chinstrap but I'm 99% sure that won't work either. Sad  It looks like I have to sleep exclusively on my back now while using the cpap.

Trying to get some solid information on the Dr Dakota LARGE device.  You have said it doesn't work for you on your side so you were going to use it for sleeping on your back.
For me the REGULAR is not tall enough but I am a back-sleeper.  The 6" height they warn about in their ad seems to only work for very-long necked people.
Can you elaborate more on your LARGE Dr Dakota?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use it actually.  It turns out nothing works for me when I sleep on my side, so I use sominfix mouth tape and only sleep on either my back or stomach.  Soft collars would make the stomach sleeping position very difficult.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2018, 03:15 PM)MrZennie Wrote: I don't use it actually.  It turns out nothing works for me when I sleep on my side, so I use sominfix mouth tape and only sleep on either my back or stomach.  Soft collars would make the stomach sleeping position very difficult.

Good to know- Thanks..

From the FWIW department and it it IS too soon to know for sure, But I ordered a ReLeaf LARGE and bemoaned having ordered it instead of the LARGE Dr Dakota.  I reasoned the ReLeaf was too soft and would not do the job and that I had to have a 'wedge' to keep my jaw closed.  It was too late to cancel it.  When I saw how soft it was I almost sent it back without giving it a chance but decided to give it a try anyway.  Two days with it, first was 2.28 and second was 0.58 - the best I have ever had!

[Notice: I am a back sleeper]

Being a pessimist I expect it not to continue but I would have bet big against it working for me and so far am very surprised  Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
Zzzzzzzorro. That's fantastic!
Post Reply Post Reply
Great thread many thanks - I sleep on my front with head in either direction mostly, can I take it collars won't then work for me as my chin is mostly over my shoulder rather than chest ?

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
Based off of zzzZorro's mention of the Dr. Dakota, I bought one.  After receiving it, I realized it's a non-starter for me.  It looks like I can use it for a wheel chock on a truck or trailer. Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2018, 01:02 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Based off of zzzZorro's mention of the Dr. Dakota, I bought one.  After receiving it, I realized it's a non-starter for me.  It looks like I can use it for a wheel chock on a truck or trailer. Big Grin

Good Grief!  Can't any manufacturer jist cross-breed the ReLeaf and the Dr.Dakota to get a four-inch high collar for C-PAP use? Huhsign
The results would probably sell like hot-cakes..

Red- sorry about that.  I gather you got the Large rather than the Regular size?  'There before you I almost went'...
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2018, 12:39 PM)Technopauper Wrote: Great thread many thanks - I sleep on my front with head in either direction mostly, can I take it collars won't then work for me as my chin is mostly over my shoulder rather than chest ?

Rob

Personally I would say for YOU to try one and not make an assumption. You may be surprised.
Remember the old quip; To Assume anything makes an A** out of you and me!"

Check your SOFT CERVICAL COLLAR post for more info... Z
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on this and other threads I ordered a large Caldera collar. I just tried it for one miserable night. I could not get to sleep at all. But...my flow limitations were way down! :-/ I guess not being asleep will do that for you...

I think I may be too light a sleeper for the Caldera collar. I'll try again, but not tonight. I'm going to need some sleep.

I have a 16" neck. The Caldera was just large enough for the fit I wanted, with enough space for a flat hand between my neck and the collar. The Velcro has about 1" of over lap. If your neck is bigger you may want to get a double sided piece of Velcro with hooks on one side and loops on the other to use as an extender.

I was expecting the the foam thickness to be greater, and softer, like the cervical collars worn on TV sit coms. (I tried to find one of those local, but not a single drug store that I checked in my area carries them.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2018, 09:37 AM)Stom Wrote: Based on this and other threads I ordered a large Caldera collar. I just tried it for one miserable night. I could not get to sleep at all. But...my flow limitations were way down! :-/ I guess not being asleep will do that for you...

I think I may be too light a sleeper for the Caldera collar. I'll try again, but not tonight. I'm going to need some sleep.

I have a 16" neck. The Caldera was just large enough for the fit I wanted, with enough space for a flat hand between my neck and the collar. The Velcro has about 1" of over lap. If your neck is bigger you may want to get a double sided piece of Velcro with hooks on one side and loops on the other to use as an extender.

I was expecting the the foam thickness to be greater, and softer, like the cervical collars worn on TV sit coms. (I tried to find one of those local, but not a single drug store that I checked in my area carries them.)

Sorry to hear the first night didn't work out for you.  Please update after you 'wring it out' a bit more.  Have you successfully used a soft cervical collar before?

As stated, I have consistent improvement when using any properly fitting collar.  For me the ReLeaf worked out better- especially during the very hot sleeping weather.  Occasional 'bad' results with me are uncommon but not impossible!

Most collars I have used were thicker than the Caldera and more firm, not softer.  That was why I was surprised that it worked for me as I had pretty much set my mind that it would take wheel-chock hard to keep my jaw closed and in place.  The whole problem with the sleep apnea arena is that FEW people respond the same- wouldn't it be something IF we did  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 223 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 424 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 355 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 361 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 534 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.