Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best soft collar?
RE: Best soft collar?
I also purchased the Dr. Dakota  Snore Eliminator. I like that it is flat in the back but sometimes it can be a challenge pulling the tiny cover over the Velcro straps. I also had some old socks I wore for circulation years ago and cut it into 3 sections. It fits perfectly over the front section of the collar and my wife just throws it in with the other socks when she washes so I don't have to take the cover off the foam to wash it. As far as chin strap I see more "don't help" than I do "help". Did nothing for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking into getting a collar, but doesn't it make mouth breathing harder? If you have more collapse in the soft palate, ergo making nose breathing difficult, should you avoid a collar?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2018, 03:22 PM)sventory Wrote: Looking into getting a collar, but doesn't it make mouth breathing harder? If you have more collapse in the soft palate, ergo making nose breathing difficult, should you avoid a collar?

The soft palate is in the roof of the mouth and throat, but there are tissues at the front of your neck, between the jaw that can cause  soft tissue obstruction.  The trick to the collar is to get pressure at the back of the jaw that encourages the mouth to be closed and prevents sleep positions that obstruct the airway. That's why most cervical collars have a dip for the chin.  The ideal collar would support the jaw-line and not close around the neck at all.  If you're a side sleeper, try pulling a thin soft pillow over your lower shoulder and rest your jaw on it. That is what we're looking for.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any developments in the quest to find a cervical collar that works but also isn't hot as hell? The Dr. Dakota is crap for me. It's uncomfortable and doesn't work at all, while the Caldera Releaf works to eliminate apneas, it is unbearably hot to use.

I found a few on Amazon:

'Tynor Soft Cervical Collar' - Still uses polyurethane in its body so it's probably not much better than the Caldera despite its perforations.

'REAQER Neck Brace Blue Breathable Adjustable Support Collar' - Has a mesh body like an office chair, but doesn't look to be very comfortable at all.

'Rolyan Adjustable Frame Cervical Collar' - Expensive. Complaints about insufficient padding around wire frame. Not sure if it's suitable for lying down.

'igoeshopping Rigid Neck Collar Cervical Traction Device' - Uses large plastic pieces with large perforations. Height adjustable. No reviews, yet.

The last one seems promising.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2018, 07:43 PM)sleeplover69 Wrote: Any developments in the quest to find a cervical collar that works but also isn't hot as hell? The Dr. Dakota is crap for me. It's uncomfortable and doesn't work at all, while the Caldera Releaf works to eliminate apneas, it is unbearably hot to use.

I found a few on Amazon:

'igoeshopping Rigid Neck Collar Cervical Traction Device' - Uses large plastic pieces with large perforations. Height adjustable. No reviews, yet.

This is a collar specifically designed to treat accident patients with neck injuries. It would be extremely uncomfortable and I'm not sure that it would keep your jaw closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2018, 04:13 AM)holden4th Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 07:43 PM)sleeplover69 Wrote: Any developments in the quest to find a cervical collar that works but also isn't hot as hell? The Dr. Dakota is crap for me. It's uncomfortable and doesn't work at all, while the Caldera Releaf works to eliminate apneas, it is unbearably hot to use.

I found a few on Amazon:

This is a collar specifically designed to treat accident patients with neck injuries. It would be extremely uncomfortable and I'm not sure that it would keep your jaw closed.

Right. And it doesn't look to have much chin support after all. 

I found another one: EezyFlow Sleep Collar. It's especially designed for sleep and it's got springs in it to adjust to your neck/chin height. It's got a cotton cover but still, it uses a memory foam core so probably will sleep more or less as hot as the Caldera.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if it was mentioned before but Dr. Dakota has a small and a large size. The small was too small to help, but the large seems to work well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2018, 10:35 AM)Coffee Man Wrote: I don't know if it was mentioned before but Dr. Dakota has a small and a large size. The small was too small to help, but the large seems to work well for me.

Thanks for letting me know. I had a lapse of memory and meant the Eliminator, not the Dr. Dakota, oops. But they look very similar, almost identical. I couldn't get the Eliminator to wear securely without the strap choking me and the plastic buckle digging into my neck. If the Dr. Dakota with its two buckles uses a similar fastening mechanism, then I might have the same problem with it. Might be worth trying as it looks a bit better made. The Eliminator is pretty crap quality.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 223 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 548 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 426 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 357 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 362 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 534 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.