Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best to Lower FlowLimitation or AHI
RE: Best to Lower FlowLimitation or AHI
Thanks for the feedback.  SR- appreciate bringing that article to my attention- helps a lot.

The reason the question and link was posted was that during the hot nights I cannot tolerate a c-collar.  So naturally my apnea events were creeping up.  In tweeking settings I discovered the 95% FlowLimitaions were decreasing with AHIs increasing.  ie: .11 FL/ 4.56 AHI and .35 FL/ 1.83 AHI  It seems there may have actually been more restful sleep with the lower FL.  Thus the curiosity..
Post Reply Post Reply
zzzZorro, what were the settings that produced this apparent inverse relationship between fl & ahi?

for others: is flow limitation accurately scored by these machines, in this case Z's aircurve 10 vauto? is flow limitation accurately calculated and displayed in sleepyhead?
Post Reply Post Reply
EPAP-16 IPAP-22 PS=2  charted 95% FL-.11/AHI 4.56

EPAP-15 IPAP-22 PS=1 charted 95% FL-.35/AHI 1.83

[attachment=7601]

[attachment=7602]

As stated, soft collar has significant impact on apneas/ not used on these examples.
Post Reply Post Reply
well, I'm no expert but that isn't a very big difference in settings. might have been just how we are from night to night unless you have seen or will see a longer term pattern.

you have some bumpage up against your max so you might want to ask the more-experienced types about that.

crimson nape, not my thread but thank you for coming closest to answering one of the questions I've posed here and elsewhere: pressure support for flow limitation (specifically the difference between inhale and exhale), epap for oa. got it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd have to agree with sleepless. You need more data than what you have to see what's going on. I'd do a week at one setting and another at the other setting and than compare one week averages.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2018, 10:31 AM)zzzZorro Wrote: . . . during the hot nights I cannot tolerate a c-collar.

The regular cervical collars are one hot puppy. I had the same problem and came across the Caldera releaf(it's their spelling) neck rest. It has a synthetic silk cover that is a lot cooler than the others.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2018, 05:53 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote:
(07-30-2018, 10:31 AM)zzzZorro Wrote: .  .  .  during the hot nights I cannot tolerate a c-collar.

The regular cervical collars are one hot puppy.   I had the same problem and came across the Caldera releaf(it's their spelling) neck rest.  It has a synthetic silk cover that is a lot cooler than the others.

Checked it out on web (A) and I would probably need the large.  They say what the box size is that it is in (?) but nothing about how high the actual support is for the chin?  The collar I use now is a bit on the stiff side (good chin support) and has been modified to just go around the neck with the correct tension and not overlap- the increased thickness on the C-spine causes spot pressure/stiffness.  How does ReLeaf fit?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the large size. My neck is around 17-1/2". At this size, the ends meet in the back.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the large size also and my neck size is a 16.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2018, 08:48 PM)yankees123 Wrote: I use the large size also and my neck size is a 16.

Do the ends overlap on you (making a lump)- If so how far?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low OA/H. Still high CA. How to lower them? jakeroviks 1 95 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 421 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,595 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,178 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I lower the pressure? GaspForAir 11 971 12-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Idea [CPAP] Lower AHI on firmer mattresses? Jeads95 9 681 10-26-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: ivorpetkov
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,582 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.