Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Learning to Tolerate Full Face Mask
Learning to Tolerate Full Face Mask
I have been using CPAP for 20 years, first with nasal mask and with pillows for the past 5 years.  I am a nose breather on CPAP, but breath through my mouth when cycling or doing other athletic activities.  I may have to have turbinate surgery.  I have tried a full face mask for only a few minutes, and it seemed intolerable.  It felt like exhalation air inflated the mask and possibly air was circulating from my nose to mouth or mouth to nose.  If I have to use a full face mask, what is the secret to making it tolerable?  Should the full face mask require more or less pressure?  Would exhalation relief (EPR) help or increase the difficulty using a full face mask?  Should I try a nose clip, like swimmers use, to force myself to breath through the mouth.  Any suggestions would be appreciated to help me learn to tolerate a full face mask for times when I have moderate to severe sinus congestion or if I have to have nasal surgery.
RayWH
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Learning to Tolerate Full Face Mask
I would suggest a few 'practice periods' wearing the mask but with the pressure(s) turned all the way down, or at least as low as you feel comfortable with. Some people feel they can't get enough at at low pressures, but I have never had that problem while using the Resmed Quattro FX. I can breathe quite easily even with the machine turned off. Hopefully you can too.

If you can do this, subsequently increase the pressure gradually over a few of these practice periods until you're at your normal pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 171 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 136 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 661 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,050 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 758 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.