Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Best wipes for cleaning and disinfecting
Best wipes for cleaning and disinfecting
New to this forum so I will probably have lot's of questions as we move forward.  A little introduction and history.  My wife and I have both just been diagnosed with severe central apnea .  Both of us have been prescribed BiPap machines and our DME has has placed the order for them. Don't know at this point the brand they will be able to get in a timely manner for us.

Tonight I was searching on Amazon for CPAP wipes for us to use. I noticed they all mentioned cleaning but not disinfecting the mask. I would think that disinfecting would be as important as the cleaning aspect.  Can you give me some recommendations of what is the best brands out there to use ?

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Best wipes for cleaning and disinfecting
Welcome to the forum. Most of us clean with a mild detergent and don't perform ny additional routine disinfecting. Clorox disinfectant wipe  are acceptable since they do not contain chlorine. Do not use anything that contains chlorine. It will damage components.

Don't settle for whatever your DME will supply. See this article about machine choices.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your response and the link to machine choices.  After reading the article I immediately called my DME company to see what they had ordered for us.  They placed an order from Luna as well as Resmed.  I told them I did not want the Luna.  The Resmed they have ordered for us is the S10 model which appears to have all the features we will need on our machines. And it is made in the USA !!!
Thanks again.  I'm sure the questions are just beginning for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unscented baby wipes are what I use and are common recommended. I get mine from Costco, which was the least expensive source.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am without a comment on cleaning wipes, but if you're diagnosed with Central Apnea, a regular CPAP may or may not be successful. A regular BPAP certainly won't. Best answer would be ASV if your CA showed in the diagnostic sleep study.

I suggest you talk with the doc and request both of your sleep study diagnostic, and if done the Titration report. Both need to be the detailed reports. If they balk at the request, mention HIPAA law permits you to request and receive. Reason you need? Best to have them in your personal health file and you can post redacted copies here to get suggestions from members. CA diagnosis isn't as common as the Obstructive Apnea, and it needs treated differently. Actions to treat Obstructive are opposite treating Centrals typically.

You also need to assert that you request ResMed and only ResMed. They're the best brand. With the foam gate, I cannot suggest Philips Respironics. They likely forgot conveniently to tell you, you have a choice. I wouldn't let this machine choice up to the doc or the DME. Call and make your choice known.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope you are aware that there are four airsense 10 models. You want the  airsense 10 autoset. You mentioned prescription for BIPAP. The AS10 is not a bipap. But as Dave pointed out you will need ASV machines if you both have complex central apnea. Take his advice and get full copies of your sleep studies and post them here. It is very unlikely that you both have complex central apnea. I'm not saying you don't but it would be unusual.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are diagnosed with lots of central apneas you probably need the Resmed 10 ASV, a much more advanced machine than most of us need. You may want to talk to your doctor, as he or she may not know what you actually need.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll second the baby-wipes thing (Huggies is my choice) for daily mask clean. Those things are crazy good cleaners for all sorts of things, not to mention also good for a quick personal freshen-up. Once a week, a good antibacterial hand soap wash seems to do the trick. Dont forget to wash/wipe the headgear straps too, they do eventually get oily etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
When it comes to washing, my provider recommends Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. You only need a little bit, so a bottle lasts me more than a year of weekly washings. Plus any accidental residue (after rinsing) smells like a baby -- how cool is that!
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife and I each used different doctors and sleep labs.  Both are directed by highly qualified MD's who are experts in this field with many years of experience.  So when we were told we have central apnea I really don't have a reason to question their DX. Both of us have underlying conditions that can contribute to central apnea.

Having worked in the medical field for over 30 years myself and have been the manager of a small DME company in the past I am somewhat knowledgeable to my surroundings. However we did not offer CPAP type service and I don't know a whole lot about them other than what I have read since being diagnosed. Hence the reason for joining this forum to help understand as we move forward.

The DME I chose is owned by a respiratory therapist plus she has two additional respiratory therapist on staff. They have more than 100 total combined years of experience between the three of them.  The reviews I read about this company were excellent. While it is still very early in this new challenge, I have been very pleased so far with them.  We are still waiting on our machines to come in.  I'm sure I will have many questions as we get into this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 220 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 755 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.