Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Better AHI after changing settings
Better AHI after changing settings
Over the last few weeks I have been running my DreamStation Pro in CPAP-Check and Auto Trial. I found my 90% pressure was 10 cmH2O. I raised the setting on my cpap machine from my prescribed setting of 8 cmH2O to 10 cmH2O. In the last 12 days my AHI has been under 0.5 and I have had an AHI of 0.0 on for 4 of the last 12 days. Three of the 0.0 AHIs occurred on the last 3 nights. Previously my AHI was usually around 1.5 and sometimes as high as 4. These numbers look almost too good to be true, although I will say I am feeling more rested than before. Will you guys look at some of my charts to see if you see anything I am overlooking.

[Image: u1X7m9xl.png]

[Image: dVoXUbnl.png]

[Image: ulI0NQSl.png]

[Image: ulwJwM6l.png]

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Better AHI after changing settings
Wow! I'm a fairly new xPAP user, too, so I don't have any suggestions for you. I just started using my machine in Auto trial mode two nights ago and am really excited that my AHI is below 3 now.

Your results look just amazing to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had another 0.0 last night. That makes 5 in the last 13 days, 4 consecutive. That is what is making me suspicious of the numbers.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Grin 
(03-24-2016, 11:47 AM)pupcamper Wrote: I had another 0.0 last night. That makes 5 in the last 13 days, 4 consecutive. That is what is making me suspicious of the numbers.

Well, I've had runs of four continuous days of AHI zero, but they don't last forever. Two zeroes in the last five days. Not boasting , just trying to assure you that this does happen. OK maybe just a little wee bit of boasting. Unsure
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2016, 03:24 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Well, I've had runs of four continuous days of AHI zero, but they don't last forever. Two zeroes in the last five days. Not boasting , just trying to assure you that this does happen. OK maybe just a little wee bit of boasting. Unsure

SleepyHead and Encore Pro are both showing a few RERAs that, due to the time they are happening, are most likely sleep\wake junk. I was beginning to think something was wrong with my machine, but I feel so good I don't think that is the case. I'll quit looking a gift horse in the mouth and enjoy it while it lasts.

Thanks for your response.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
I just zoomed in on the daily report at the left of your first screenshot. It says "Breathing not detected", so I think you're right to be suspicious of the zeroes.

I can't remember if you are only seeing the 0.0 AHI in the reports or if you also see them on your machine's display.

Could it be something to do with the fact that you have your machine in Auto trial mode? That's how I'm running mine now, and I noticed that SleepyHead says that some of the machine settings aren't available to it.

(03-24-2016, 11:47 AM)pupcamper Wrote: I had another 0.0 last night. That makes 5 in the last 13 days, 4 consecutive. That is what is making me suspicious of the numbers.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had my machine in Auto Trial during the time of the first screen shot. The rest were were recorded while in CPAP-Check. I guess CPAP-Check could be considered a form of Auto. When I went into SpleepyHead to look at the "Breathing Not Detected" 0.00% is listed in the hours column which I assume means breathing was detected as no times are listed.

I went into my machine and found the 7 day and 30 day AHI figures. My DreamStation and SleepyHead are reading the same, as are EncorePro and DreamMapper. I did notice that the latest string of 0.0AHIs started the night I turned C-Flex off and set my ramp at 8.5 cm for 10 minutes. I'm going to assume the numbers are correct unless I get information indicating they are in fact wrong. I'm sure the streak will end soon. In the meantime I'll continue monitoring, quit looking the gift horse in the mouth and enjoy the ride.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

zoom in on the flow chart, look for any places where there's no changes in the flow (not breathing) for 10 seconds or longer.

shorter than 10 seconds doesn't get scored as an apnea.

you could have 9 second apneas all night long and still get a 0.0 night Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2016, 07:53 PM)pupcamper Wrote: When I went into SpleepyHead to look at the "Breathing Not Detected" 0.00% is listed in the hours column which I assume means breathing was detected as no times are listed.

Oh, okay - makes sense. My machine doesn't generate that particular stat. Enjoy! like

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2016, 08:35 PM)palerider Wrote: zoom in on the flow chart, look for any places where there's no changes in the flow (not breathing) for 10 seconds or longer.

shorter than 10 seconds doesn't get scored as an apnea.

you could have 9 second apneas all night long and still get a 0.0 night Big Grin

Thanks for the tip, palerider. I don't know why I didn't think of that. After all, that's what SleepyHead is all about. I took your advice and zoomed in on the flow charts for the 0.0 nights. I didn't see anything approaching ten seconds that looks like the waveforms do when I have a hyponea or obstructive apnea. I did find 3 or 4 on each night that were less than five seconds. It looks like the nights in question really were 0.00 nights. The string was broken last night. Still a good night, though. It looks like the changes I made are working.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 252 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 447 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 331 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 319 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Surprised Apap- changing settings Swsch2985 2 437 01-06-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 458 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 898 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.