Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bi-Level, S, ST, ASV??
RE: Bi-Level, S, ST, ASV??
Here is a zoom in on a couple events.  S/T bilevel machine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Yuck. Classed as hypopnoea due to reduced flow but I would suggest reduced flow due to leaks not due to an apnoea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!  So, is it pretty certain that the leaks would NOT be causing loss of UA detection?  So, in this case, results are probably better than indicated if hypopneas are due to leaks... not the other way around, where missing UA detection due to leaks... right? In the case of an OA or CA I should still see flows go to zero in spite of leaks, correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
Really looking for some insight here... trying to decipher the difference between two masks... same exact settings on AirCurve ST.  EPAP 7, IPAP 12, BR 14.

The image with the almost constant leaks is the P30i nasal pillow.  The image with no leaks is the Amara View.

The nasal mask has constant leaks (although non-detectable by the user), and shows almost no apneas, just hypopneas.
The Amara View shows no leaks and lots of apneas (UA).

If this were a unit that uses the pressure pulse to determine type of apnea, then I could see where leaks might interfere with the classification of apneas... but, am I correct that leaks do not play a part in detecting the apnea itself.. but instead the overall flow rate is used to detect hypopnea vs apnea??  I want to understand if the leaks are playing a role in the significant difference in apneas and hypopneas between the two masks... OR, if it is more likely the nasal mask better controls apneas?  AND, if two different masks like this (nasal only vs mouth/nasal) may need different pressure settings to achieve best treatment?

Any advice on what to pursue here would be greatly appreciated.  Can't find any way to eliminate the nasal mask leaks... tried chin strap and liners... no difference.  But more importantly, why the significant difference in UA between masks?

Zoomed in images in next post.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here are zoomed in images.

The Amara View (no leaks, lots of UA) shows relatively longer apneas all night.

The P30i (tons of leaks), show very few UA (and the ones it shows are shorter than those with Amara view), and mostly hypopneas, where flow rate changes a bit but there is still clearly respiration.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Post Reply Post Reply
Look in at the graphs these are things happening here. The leaks are affecting therapy. But more importantly the pressure support from the ST is insufficient to force/encourage a breath so the Apnoea is still occurring, it looks to me like more pressure support is needed. This is where the BiLevel treat meant falls down as apposed to ASV as on an ST machine pressure support is required at all times at a high level. But with an ASV it is only when required on a breath by breath basis
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply... I would think that leaks would tend to flatten out the flow rate... no?  But the opposite is happening... with nasal mask and leaks, the flow rate is still there and seen as hypopneas... with the View mask and no leaks, the flow rate goes to zero and an apnea is logged.  Trying to understand why this is opposite what I would expect.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO due to the high leak rate on the nasal mask chart, that throws out any hope of the machine giving useful therapy and accuracy in reporting is probably hindered to the point of not going to be helpful. Since you hide the OSCAR left panel details, I can't see some details of data or settings. Since you're dealing with a full face vs nasal, I'll make a guess you're probably mouth breathing or mouth leaking with a nasal mask, indicating if you don't use a full face, you'll need to add something to stop mouth breathing/leaks like taping, a chin strap like Knightsbridge, and/or a soft collar. Even so, you may find you must use full face. But again this is only a semi-educated guess.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What a waste of time. ST machines are for people needing pressure support to overcome a respiratory insufficiency. Complex apnea is treated with ASV. Your results clearly show that PS 5 a 14 bpm rate is not working! Ask your doctor for the ASV titration. You have done your part to prove failure in the ST mode...now let's get something that has a reasonable prayer of working.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2020, 10:08 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: ... Complex apnea is treated with ASV.

In addition to being treated by ASV therapy mode, Complex Apneas can also be treated successfully by the AirCurve 10 ST-A machine in iVAPS mode.

The ResMed iVAPS therapy mode prevents CA in the same manner as the ResMed ASV therapy mode prevents CA:  the machine immediately (within a few seconds) increases Pressure Support as high as needed in order to maintain a target Minute Ventilation.

However, please note that the somewhat similar Philips DreamStation BiPAP AVAPS machines cannot treat CA, since the Philips AVAPS therapy mode reacts way too slowly, making only small adjustments to the Pressure Support every minute or so.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 79 04-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 157 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,230 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 624 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 638 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  For those that have switched from PAP to Bi-level... CPAPnerd 7 471 01-23-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Extremely rapid breathing on bi-level (28 resp. rate) Too Sleepy 52 4,697 01-01-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Fixit50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.