Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bi-Level, S, ST, ASV??
RE: Bi-Level, S, ST, ASV??
Jtech1, the Aircurve 10 ST has three modes; CPAP, S and ST. The disadvantage is that it is fixed pressures (IPAP/EPAP) and I think it lacks the Easybreathe™ pressure transitions. This means instead of the wave-shaped mask pressure you usually see on the forum, it uses more a of a square-wave. This is mostly a comfort feature. The ST has the backup timing mode and is more expensive than the S or Vauto. I really don't understand why you can't get a Vauto which has a lot of comfort adjustments like trigger/cycle sensitivity, TiMin, TiMax, Easybreathe and of course automatic EPAP pressure adjustment. I may be missing something, but is this your only physician option? I use my primary care physician (internal medicine) for all prescriptions. All he needs are copies of the records.

The Resmed device is nice for viewing data in Resscan, but any recording oximeter can be used to approximate the relationship of time and apnea events to pulse and SpO2 results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider... I appreciate all of your feedback.

According to this ResMed link: https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pr...-10-s.html

the ST model does have EasyBreath.  The only two things it shows it does not have is "S" and "VAuto".  I know it cannot do the auto adjustments... as for S, I am guessing the lack of "S" check box is just a comparison chart artifact... and they mean to say it has both S and T by the ST row... so my main concern was if it can do synchronous only mode with NO timed backup rate... and it seems like you are saying that is can be programmed that way?
Post Reply Post Reply
This is from the clinical manual for Vauto, S and ST. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=16819]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Contradicting information from ResMes on the ST device. The web site link I posted above says that the ST device DOES have "Easy Breath," but the clinician manual says:

>Easy-Breathe
>The comfort feature Easy-Breathe is available in S mode on the AirCurve 10 VAuto and AirCurve 10 S device.
>The Easy-Breathe waveform intelligently recreates a patient’s individual breathing pattern, so breathing feels more natural and therapy is more comfortable.

Implying that only the VAuto and S devices have it... even though the ST can be put in S mode also.

Same with Central Apnea detection... clinician manual says:

>Central sleep apnea detection
>Central sleep apnea detection is available in VAuto, CPAP and S modes (when Easy-Breathe is enabled) on AirCurve 10 VAuto and AirCurve 10 S devices.

Anyone on here using an ST model that can confirm IF that model does support Easy Breath and Central detection when the ST model is in S mode?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2019, 09:46 AM)jtech1 Wrote: Contradicting information from ResMes on the ST device.  The web site link I posted above says that the ST device DOES have "Easy Breath," but the clinician manual says:

>Easy-Breathe
>The comfort feature Easy-Breathe is available in S mode on the AirCurve 10 VAuto and AirCurve 10 S device.
>The Easy-Breathe waveform intelligently recreates a patient’s individual breathing pattern, so breathing feels more natural and therapy is more comfortable.

Implying that only the VAuto and S devices have it... even though the ST can be put in S mode also.

Same with Central Apnea detection... clinician manual says:

>Central sleep apnea detection
>Central sleep apnea detection is available in VAuto, CPAP and S modes (when Easy-Breathe is enabled) on AirCurve 10 VAuto and AirCurve 10 S devices.

Anyone on here using an ST model that can confirm IF that model does support Easy Breath and Central detection when the ST model is in S mode?

Thanks!

The features you cite from the clinical manual all reflect my understanding of the ST.  I have never been a fan of that machine as it seems to be the technology left behind by Resmed.  No CA detection, no Easybreathe, no adjusting pressure; even the backup function is an archaic timer. The ST-A is completely another matter. The ST-A has adaptive pressure support like ASV to maintain aveolar tidal volume and automatic EPAP pressure adjustment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I talked to someone from ResMed... and they tell me that the ST DOES do central detection, but does not do Easy Breath... contrary to what the web site chart shows.

I guess now I need to get back to the doctor and find out if they really meant to prescribe the Timed backup rate unit (which he told me directly last week was not needed)... and if not, then get things switched to the VAuto.

If I were a sleep Dr, I would make it my job to understand all of this and do it right the first time... but it seems that kind of Dr if hard ot find.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2019, 04:27 PM)jtech1 Wrote: I talked to someone from ResMed... and they tell me that the ST DOES do central detection, but does not do Easy Breath... contrary to what the web site chart shows.

I guess now I need to get back to the doctor and find out if they really meant to prescribe the Timed backup rate unit (which he told me directly last week was not needed)... and if not, then get things switched to the VAuto.

If I were a sleep Dr, I would make it my job to understand all of this and do it right the first time... but it seems that kind of Dr if hard ot find.

If you have gone this far...  Have you looked at the ST-A which adds iVAPS and more alarm options. 

Alarms are always a win if lack of therapy presents risk to life (like maybe if nocturnal Oxygen is delivered through the xPAP mask) and I don't know you would care about iVAPS but I don't know enough about the patient to say you would not. 

https://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resme...er_eng.pdf   (Oh look. A policy compliant link ... ha ha)

WillSleep

Post Reply Post Reply
Is EasyBreath a big deal? How much impact does it really have on comfort? I have no idea if it was used in the titration study or not... My family member said it was very comfortable and they slept better than they had in a long time. Not sure if that was due to the bilevel (they had used regular cpap years ago) or something else like EasyBreath.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having been on the receiving end of a BiLevel sleep lab titration without "Easy-Breathe" or similar and it was hard. Inhales and exhales were like throwing a switch, The There was no "ramp time, it was either on or off, very much a square wave application. Have you EVER seen a breath wave form where the change happened instantly? It is a big deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
The square breath forms from an ST with a PS of 9 was hard on the default settings it was like being kicked in the teeth with a blast of air, however when I raised the rise time to over 300ms it was fine with no issues
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 81 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,003 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 460 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  For those that have switched from PAP to Bi-level... CPAPnerd 7 430 01-23-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Extremely rapid breathing on bi-level (28 resp. rate) Too Sleepy 52 4,462 01-01-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Fixit50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.