Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bi-pap help with settings
Bi-pap help with settings
New but need help.  The battle continues.  I had two studies because the first did not give the information needed.  After the second study I was given a Resp. Bi-pap machine and very little information.  I never saw the doctor.  I was told that my AHI was 49.  After using the machine I average less than 2. . . .so I think it is working.  Right?  The problem is that I wanted a back-up machine.  The hospital went out of business and there is no one to contact about my settings.  I bought the back-up machine and tried to copy the setting from the  first one to the second.  All was well until I need the bust of air the machine provides when needed. . .it just stays at the same as before and is not effective.  My doctor requested another sleep study but the insurance rejected it.  My question is . . . what setting am I missing that provides the extra boost of air.  I tried to make the new machine have the same setting.  Thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bi-pap help with settings
The settings available on your machine are

IPAP Max
EPAP Min
PS Max
PS Min

Your diagnosed AHI is close to mine. What I have done is try to get my IPAP pressure operating at or a bit above my recommended CPAP pressure which was 13. At this point I have these settings:

IPAP max 20
EPAP min 10
Pressure support Min 2.5
Pressure Support MAX 5.0

You can check your own settings on the machine by going to Settings, holding the ON button and the one beside it together until you hear a beep. Then scroll through to settings.

My readings range between 0.24 and 2.1. I think that raising my EPAP Min by .5 or 1.0 will be even better for me and I'll see what happens when I do that.

If you are having readings of 2 or less then the therapy is probably working for you.

There are people on this forum far better versed in BiPAP than I am and I am sure that they will chime in with their suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Superdot, we need to know exactly what machine you are using. Your description of a "burst of air when needed" sounds like you are using a BiPAP Auto SV Advanced. A regular BiPAP does not have the same capabilities. Take a look at the model and look for something like DS960DX or DS760DX etc, or whatever name you can find on the machine. We don't even know if you're using a M-series, 50/60 System One or Dreamstation. Once we narrow that down, we can get a clinical manual in your hands and talk about accessing the settings and troubleshooting this problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really appreciate the help. I am using a: Respironics BiPAP auto SV ADV Sys One 60 Srs DOM REF 960P

Max Pres: 25
EPAP Min: 4.0
EPAP Max: 15
BPM: 8
PS Min :0
PS Max : 19.5

I just noticed the new machine is not exactly like the old one. The new one says BiPAP Auto Bi-Flex
Did they ship me the wrong machine? Thanks for your help guys.
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume that the Respironics BiPAP auto SV ADV Sys One 60 Srs DOM REF 960P is the primary machine.

What exactly is the backup machine?
and what are the settings on the original machine (backup)

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Now we're getting closer. Any replacement or backup needs to have ASV (adaptive servo ventilator) capability. There are really only two on the market, the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV and the Philips Respironics BiPAP Auto SV Advanced, either the System One 60 Series like yours or the Dreamstation. Any other bilevel/BiPAP is not going to give you that response.

The machine you received is an auto bilevel. It may be the PRS1 Model 760P or the Dreamstation model DSX700X11. These are not capable of providing the needed breath-by-breath pressure support, but instead provide the same pressure support on every breath. You will suffer many central apnea if you try to use this. The supplier made an error. Note the two models in the first paragraph, and make sure that is what you get.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They have not provided you with the same type of machine. Your original machine is an Auto Servo Vent (ASV) which is light years different from a plain vanilla Bi-Pap. The ASV samples your breathing breath by breath and adjusts for each one. It is also a couple of thousand dollars more in cost than a straight Bi-Pap. Respironics has just come out with the DreamStation version of the ASV. You did not indicate if you were buying this yourself or with insurance, but if yourself, you may still be able to find a new PR System One 60 ASV (that is your current machine - a 960) at a considerable discount as people try to clear them out making way for the DreamStation model. You also would be able to use the same humidifier water chamber and filters, none of which are the same with the DreamStation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 896 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  AirCurve 10 ASV settings - Equivalent settings for AirCurve 10 VAUTO Shadowpup 0 886 11-18-2022, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Shadowpup
  ResMed Adjust ASV Settings to AutoASV Settings ronsch00 4 3,708 06-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  SleepyHead Question: machine settings on Daily Sidebar don't match actual settings Kris the Crone 6 2,142 06-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Kris the Crone
Question Auto CPAP settings vs Auto BiPAP settings thasan26 1 2,772 05-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Last Post: robysue

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.