Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiFlex or Not?
BiFlex or Not?
Now that I'm back from my UK trip I'm going to purchase a back up machine. As I'm interested to see if BiPAP can resolve my RERA issues and also help my breathing patterns my next machine will be a Respironics. The machine I'm looking at is the DS760. I notice this has something called BiFlex which I'm assuming is similar to the AFlex on my current machine. As I will be setting an EPAP level on a BiPAP machine, I'm not sure how lowering the exhalation pressure even further using BiFlex is useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiFlex or Not?
BiFlex does not change the pressure support, it changes the rise time and reduction curve from a square wave to a rounded wave. Sorry for the translation issue here but BiFlex looks like the figure below.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2017, 09:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: BiFlex does not change the pressure support, it changes the rise time and reduction curve from a square wave to a rounded wave.   Sorry for the translation issue here but BiFlex looks like the figure below.  

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Hope it's ok to dig up an old post rather than start a new one. I have the same question as the poster about bi-flex. I'm wondering if the bi-flex adds additional PS to the PS = IPAP-EPAP.

The graph seems to indicate that.

The blue line, the box form pressure wave is the normal bi-level without bi-flex. The purple line is with bi-flex and the low-point of the EPAP goes below the box, i.e. seems to add a bit of extra PS ? 

Would be helpful to find an answer to this, as I'm moving from CPAP to BPAP and trying to figure out exactly what EPAP I require. 

PS: Sleepyhead seems to confirm what you're saying Sleeprider, that bi-flex doesn't reduce EPAP by more than the set PS, but I doubt SH's accuracy. SH doesn't seem to pick up on the bi-flex setting as it did w the CPAP (i.e. there's no indication whether bi-flex was on and at what level).
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, if I understand it correctly, on the exhale side it reduces a pressure a bit initially...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Respironics Dreamstation BiPap Suddenly Weak / No Pressure / BiFlex Kernelhappy 2 3,432 05-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Switched from ResMed AirSense10 to PR System One REMStar 60 Series BiPAP w Biflex! gdaversa19 10 3,364 07-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.