Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiLevel Pressure Support (PS)
BiLevel Pressure Support (PS)
I have been trying to understand just what PS is and what it is for with a BiLevel (Vauto).  I know it sets the separation between EPAP and IPAP so it maintains a constant following/separation of the set PS number/pressure.  I'd like to know what it actually does and what it's purpose was to accomplish if anyone could please explain it.  Have made many internet searches and come up with nothing to answer my queston.

In my case my Vauto is running at 13/21 PS-1 and providing (at least temporarily) consistently good results.  The PS-1 has been providing improved results over PS-2 at the same pressures.  Seems to me the PS-1 has it leashed down pretty tight..

What am I missing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiLevel Pressure Support (PS)
I think reading the various manufacturer titration protocols, recommended for their BiPAP or VPAP machines will tell you what you need to know. In conventional bilevel titration, EPAP is used to treat obstructive apnea, and pressure support increases may be increased to treat hypopnea and flow limitations, or in the event of central apneas, the pressure support will be reduced. The default pressure support is 4-cm and increases or decreases generally follow the titration protocols. Bilevel therapy can also be used to offset the effects of a restrictive pulmonary condition (COPD, Asthma) and can help with upper airway resistance syndrome. Bilevel can be used to target increased ventilation, lower CO2 and better oxygenation. These latter functions tend to be based on non-invasive ventilation protocols.

Bilevels with backup rates are a higher level of therapy that can target alveolar ventilation rates, breaths per minute and as treatment for central apnea, cheyne stokes respiration and other issues. Do a search for Resmed Titration Protocols or the same in Respironics, and lots of information will come up.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In your case the only advantages are your pressure can go beyond 20cm and you can tailor delivery of the breaths if needed. Pressure support adjustment I believe was mainly to help those who needed assistance with breathing due to Weight or COPD. Or at least I think that's what it was designed for.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you gentlemen, much appreciated Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2018, 01:11 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: In your case the only advantages are your pressure can go beyond 20cm and you can tailor delivery of the breaths if needed.  Pressure support adjustment I believe was mainly to help those who needed assistance with breathing due to Weight or COPD. Or at least I think that's what it was designed for.

I'm greatly honored. PS was built for me. Thanks Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 79 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,332 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Sucking in on bilevel ahuman 9 174 03-19-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: ahuman
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Bilevel ASV - Resuming After Septoplaasty Dread 130 8,128 03-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.