Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP Dreamstation pressure drops
BiPAP Dreamstation pressure drops
I've been using this machine for about a month. It's set to Fixed Bi-Level PAP mode, 8/13. This morning I woke up at about 05:20 to find the machine wasn't providing any noticeable  pressure at all - it acted like a fixed-pressure CPAP. If I held my breath, nothing happened. Used to be the machine noticed, and a puff of iPAP  air would get me started again. I looked at the display, and it was alternating between 8 and 13 as normal, but that wasn't happening on the other end of the hose. Mask is a too-small F20, which leaks when the mask slides above my lower lip, but that usually wakes me up and I re-adjust. Is this normal?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPAP Dreamstation pressure drops
Is it normal? I'd say no. I think the leaks are hindering your therapy as in your machine can't track you as easily when leaks add static. Being on a Respironics hinders it further IMO. Results of the majority that use a Respironics is that the machine doesn't track the patient's needs well. The prediction algorithm is not as good as what's found in ResMed, and things like leaks just make it worse.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you hold your breath, your machine does not trigger IPAP as it requires a spontaneous breath. The puff of air you sometimes feel is called a pressure pulse, and it is a 1.5 cm puff of air to evaluate if the airway is open (clear airway) or closed (obstructed airway). It is a momentary pulse and not a backup breath. Most bilevels remain at EPAP when you are not actively or spontaneously inhaling.

Take a look at the mask primer in my signature links. It offers a lot of fitting suggestions. You probably need to consider a change in mask model, type or size. If I absolutely had to use a full face mask, I'd seriously look at the hybrid masks that have a nasal pillows and mouth cover, rather than one that fits over the bridge of the nose.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure of the number, but I've tried at least 8 or 9 masks. I'm a natural mouth breather, so it has to be a full-face (even with my chin strapped up, I leak out the mouth). I have a beard, so that complicates the seal (ResMed's foam seal was disappointing; looks like the silicone will work better). There isn't a universal fitting gauge (that I've found), so you have to acquire and test lots of combinations, and that takes time -- especially now, 'cause the DME's local office is closed - everything's done by mail.. I've got a disability affecting my hands, so the headgear attachment has to be very simple, and easily manipulated in the dark, since I get up several times a night to pee and drink replacement water, which also unsticks my dry mouth. I'm sticking with the 2 major brands; the next contender is the AirFitF20 Large.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, you mean like this
<-------
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2020, 12:51 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Is it normal? I'd say no. I think the leaks are hindering your therapy as in your machine can't track you as easily when leaks add static. Being on a Respironics hinders it further IMO. Results of the majority that use a Respironics is that the machine doesn't track the patient's needs well. The prediction algorithm is not as good as what's found in ResMed, and things like leaks just make it worse.

Agree about the leaks. Working hard to resolve them. I didn't have any say in the choice of the machine, but I'll ask my DME about other brands. Where might I find technical reviews of them?
Post Reply Post Reply
Reading the technical reviews are misleading. On paper the PR machines look like they should perform far better than the ResMed, in the worst case, just as well, in real life not so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most AB users find the ResMed machines respond better and faster to events, and in a more natural feeling response. This can be found in most cases and with most levels of the range of CPAP class of machines.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2020, 01:45 PM)bonjour Wrote: Hey, you mean like this
<-------

Yup. Not quite as magnificent a beard, tho. I have a mask like that, don't remember why it didn't make the cut, but I'll check...
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2020, 04:19 PM)PhoebeAnn Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 01:45 PM)bonjour Wrote: Hey, you mean like this
<-------

Yup. Not quite as magnificent a beard, tho. I have a mask like that, don't remember why it didn't make the cut, but I'll check...

The Amara View they gave me is a Small, so that's a problem up front. But the real problem is the headgear - there are 2 clips that hold the thing on, and my hands can't clip/unclip them, even holding it in my lap. I tried the F20 AirTouch - I think (all the names confuse me) - which looks a lot like the Amara View. It, too, was a Small, but it worked well - no large leaks reported by OSCAR, but the nasal seal had a tiny leak that blew straight into my left eye. And, I think it had some goofy magnetic clips to hold it on, which gave me some trouble. But I managed to clip it on, and put a little pressure on the seal with one hand, and (literally) hold my tongue just right, and it worked great. My AirTouch F30 should arrive today, so I'll see how that goes.

Oh - and to keep on topic, I had some water left in the tank this morning after only one refill around 1 AM, so it's definitely the leaks that are drinking it all up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 933 5 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 826 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,052 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 155 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  UARS, bipap pressure, I or E Wcsleep 3 436 01-12-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,294 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.