Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP Dreamstation pressure drops
RE: BiPAP Dreamstation pressure drops
Update: One of my docs wants to switch me over to ResMed. What model should I expect for BiPAP with humidification, etc., comparable to the Philips? Does the ResMed hold more water in its humidifier reservoir?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure how much water the ResMed holds vs the Respironics. But this is great news to the switch over to ResMed. Equivalent machine? I think this nets you the VAuto. Absolutely this is very very good news for you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto is second to none in its class. The main difference is fixed pressure support, but the auto-pressure is more responsive, and it has much better pressure delivery with EasyBreathe™. You also get inspiratory timing controls and trigger and cycle sensitivity.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider Said: The Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto is second to none in its class.

I asked for that, but wound up with the Resmed Aircurve 10 ST. The Dreamstation BiPAP was set to 8/16 and felt good, other than missing a few beats as described. On the ST, it's been set to 4/14, which I was afraid might not be forceful enough. But when I tried it last night I thought my lungs would explode on the first breath. I finally gave up, ditched the mask at 11:30, and slept without PAP for the first time in 3 years. I thought there might be something like a ramp function, but the one promising feature: "Easy Breathe" is an option, and I'm betting it's off.

Which brings to a real downside for me. My hands are too weak to a) get the humidifier tub out of the machine to fill it, and b) turn or press the dial on the front. I'm pretty sure I can fix (a) by grinding off the little nubs on the top side that lock the tub in place, and probably (b) by extending the dial with a piece of vinyl tubing clamped around the outer diameter of the dial. For now, I'll fiddle and fuss and turn the dial somehow.

Any suggestions, other than turning on "Easy Breathe"? It looks to me from OSCAR that it's configured wrong as well, but I've got some reading to do.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, that's insane! What are we trying to do? Your are using fixed pressure of 14/4 (IPAP/EPAP) . This is a fixed pressure machine that provides the same EPAP and IPAP all the time, which means you are getting a pressure support of 10 on every breath, instead of 5-cm with your old machine. and it has a backup rate. It is normally used for individuals with COPD, thoracic neuromuscular disease or obesity hypoventlaton. You clearly cannot tolerate a pressure support of 10. Please call your doctor imediately and explain you were dispensed the wrong machine. If you have one, post a redacted copy of your prescription. Pending what we see, I advise returning this machine. If the intention was to put you on an auto-bilevel machine, this is not it, and the prescription was improperly filled. Do not use the machine with these settings. If you must use it, I willl instruct ou on seeting it up for safe use pending you getting it returned and a replacement issued. If you have your Philips Dreamstation, resume with that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With regard to the humidifier tray, do not grind off the latching nubs or you will likely get air-leaks, You can slide a scraper blade or screwdriver under the upper lid latch and that will give you more than enough leverage to open the top. The control knob takes very little pressure to turn or press. Mine will turn by merely dragging my hand across the top. No need to grip.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Best to not modify anything on this wrong machine. It will need to go back.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2020, 02:25 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Best to not modify anything on this wrong machine. It will need to go back.

I've sent Sleeprider's comments (anonymously) to my RT group to see what they have to say. I wondered about "normally used for individuals with COPD, thoracic neuromuscular disease", because my problem is ALS. But I agree, I can't use it. There are a lot of parameters that I don't understand, so I'm reluctant to change anything. Should hear from them tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot about your ALS, but even with the ST, you should have been titrated. My recommendation for your condition might have been the ST-A set to iVAPS mode with a properly titrated alveolar vent rate. The ST is very old technology and not very effective when respiratory support needs are variable, and they always are. The important point here is that issuing advanced non-invasive ventilation without any clue regarding effective settings, is irresponsible. The bilevel ST machine at 14/4 and a minute vent of 20.5 L/min is pure malpractice in the absence of titration data. They have to do better!

If anyone asks, you can send them that too.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Best wishes on quick resolution.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 960 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 828 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,056 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 155 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  UARS, bipap pressure, I or E Wcsleep 3 438 01-12-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,295 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.