Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP Reviews
BiPAP Reviews
We go in to get my son's BiPAP Wednesday. (10 yo)
I see a lot on CPAP machines and only only one sentence on BiPAP as far as recommendations - is there more I should know? Do they work with Sleepyhead? Can you use them in conjunction with oxygen? 
I'm sure they already have one picked out?? We do meet with a sleep therapist the day before (just by chance). Are there things I can bring up to her? 

Quote:BiPAP and VPAP are trademarks for the term "bilevel"

I consider any of the PRS1,ResMed S9 bilevel, or ResMed AirCurve 10 machines to be acceptable, because all of them record full data, including airflow data.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPAP Reviews
That's exciting (and if you're like me (without the whiskers), prolly pretty intimidating and even nerve-wracking).

Yes, BPAPs will work with supplemental oxygen.  Some have ports built into the machine but most just use an adapter that joins the oxygen to the breathing tube.

I'm not a SleepyHead expert, however I believe that each of the machines you listed work directly with SH.

Looking forward to hearing about your visits with the sleep doctor and the DME!

Oh, kasiahbug, don't feel that whatever you decide when you get the machine is "until death do us part"; you may not feel like it's so, yet you are the boss, and you are in the driver's seat.  Everybody is there to give you good advice and help you navigate, not to boss you around.  Just keep in mind that whatever machine you get is temporary until you decide if it's up to snuff for satisfying your son's needs.

HopeThatHelps!
Post Reply Post Reply
First choice should be a Resmed VAUTO.

Second would be A Phillips Respironics Dreamstation Auto Bipap
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2018, 09:55 AM)ShaunBlake Wrote: That's exciting (and if you're like me (without the whiskers), prolly pretty intimidating and even nerve-wracking).

Yes, BPAPs will work with supplemental oxygen.  Some have ports built into the machine but most just use an adapter that joins the oxygen to the breathing tube.

I'm not a SleepyHead expert, however I believe that each of the machines you listed work directly with SH.

Looking forward to hearing about your visits with the sleep doctor and the DME!

Oh, kasiahbug, don't feel that whatever you decide when you get the machine is "until death do us part"; you may not feel like it's so, yet you are the boss, and you are in the driver's seat.  Everybody is there to give you good advice and help you navigate, not to boss you around.  Just keep in mind that whatever machine you get is temporary until you decide if it's up to snuff for satisfying your son's needs.

HopeThatHelps!

Thank you- and reassuring about being temp if needed. I'm pretty medically aware on a lot of things, but all this CPAP and BiPAP is totally new and I'm out of my league. Not confident when talking to the Dr's like I am with everything else. So glad to have boards and people like you to help navigate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2018, 10:00 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: First choice should be a Resmed VAUTO.

Thank you... I am putting info in a document and taking it with --
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2018, 10:07 AM)kasiahbug Wrote:

Thank you... I am putting info in a document and taking it with --

In my signature is a link to a sample CPAP prescription. You can fill it out and pass it along to your doctor. I am a big fan of the Vauto. +1 Walla Walla
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Kasiahbug, both the Philips and Resmed bilevels (BiPAP/VPAP) produce data, however both manufacturers produce both a fixed bilevel (BiPAP Pro /VPAP S) and an auto bilevel (BiPAP Auto/ Vauto). In terms of quality and effectiveness, not too much separates them. I own both Philips and Resmed auto bilevel machines, and consistently use the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto. I get somewhat better results, but feel more comfortable. The Philips BiPAP Auto adjusts EPAP and Pressure Support within a set range and allows a maximum IPAP pressure to be set. The Resmed Vauto allows a minimum and maximum EPAP, and a single pressure support to be set. So with the Resmed, pressure support is always the same, meaning the difference between inhale and exhale does not change. With Philips that difference can be variable, which may be useful in treating hypopnea. All fixed machines only allow a single EPAP and IPAP pressure to be set. Note that all auto machine can be set in fixed mode (BiPAP S or VPAP S). So there is no reason not to get the auto bilevel, even if a single bilevel pressure is being prescribed. As your son's needs change in time and with growth or health, the auto bilevel machines will be able to re-titrate his needs, while the fixed pressure machines will require a different pressure prescription.

All bilevel machines can be used with an air-bleed adapter to enable the use of supplemental oxygen.

I think the main thing to remember is you want the Auto machine which can adjust pressure as needed. This allows for lower pressures, but can increase based on the types of events that occur. Auto machines can be set to the EPAP and IPAP of your son's prescription, but in the future, you can enable bilevel to see if his results are improved at a different pressure range.

The reason a Resmed may be superior is the ability to set inspiration minimum and maximum times (TiMin/TiMax) and the trigger and cycle sensitivity. These settings allow therapy to be fine-tuned for comfort and to change how quickly the machines respond to your son's spontaneous breathing inputs. Individuals with weaker or lower volume respiratory changes from inhale to exhale may need higher sensitivity to that input. Similarly individuals with uneven breathing may need lower sensitivity so that the machine does not trigger or cycle prematurely. You will probably leave these settings at default, but it's nice they are there if you need them.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Call up your child's sleep therapist and ask them which machines your son has a choice of so that you can research that. Generally, it's going to be between Resmed and Respironics (they are actually called Bi-level machines, Bipap is Respironics' brand name). Ask if there is a preference for your son and why. I wouldn't wait for the appointment. Better to do your research before the appointment so that you can ask intelligent questions and not basic stuff that is easily answered already.

As to which, I have no recommendation. My brother uses a Respironics not because he has apnea (he does not) but because of restricted lung capacity. For this reason, he uses fixed pressure rather than auto because auto won't give enough pressure. It worked well for him, so he wants to stick with it. Resmed Bilevel wasn't an option at the time he was first given a bilevel machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Precisely.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all - this was a huge help and I feel a little better going to the appointments.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 202 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,152 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  candidate for bipap??? eok361 6 440 02-17-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: eok361
  [CPAP] Help with bipap settings airwaystent 25 1,553 01-29-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  bipap Innisfree 2 415 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New to BIPAP, how does my data look? slaynie 4 519 12-11-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: slaynie
  new to bipap want the best experiance bssford460 3 520 11-16-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.