Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP Reviews
RE: BiPAP Reviews
If the prescription calls for a backup rate, the S/T will provide that. The Auto SV will provide a backup rate. The BiPAP auto does not provide a backup rate.

For a number of possible reasons, it was recommended that your son be at 8 resp/min. That's a backup rate. You can't set that up on just a BiPAP auto. That's only available on S/T and Auto SV, specifically, the Philips Auto SV.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
I think you need to explain what your Doctor is actually treating here. Normally a BIPAP ST is used to assist the lungs in breathing and not just for treating sleep apnea.

I would call your Doctor first and find out exactly what he whats for a machine before picking up anything from Norco. Than I would make sure Norco is giving you the right machine before you pick it up.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2018, 10:42 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I think you need to explain what your Doctor is actually treating here. Normally a BIPAP ST is used to assist the lungs in breathing and not just for treating sleep apnea.

I would call your Doctor first and find out exactly what he whats for a machine before picking up anything from Norco. Than I would make sure Norco is giving you the right machine before you pick it up.

Thanks Walla Walla, good advice i think as well.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
My son has central and obstructive sleep apnea with concerns for a condition called ROHHAD - where kids just stop breathing.
He's on oxygen during the day, too.
Not sure if that helps at all.

ROHHAD Syndrome: Rapid-onset Obesity with Hypothalamic Dysfunction, Hypoventilation & Autonomic Dysregulation

I kind of feel like the therapist yesterday was the one giving mixed opinions and then when I asked the front desk, she just wasn't sure and pretended she did.
I'll make some calls.
Post Reply Post Reply
The BiPAP ST is a fixed bilevel machine with spontaneous and timed breathing triggers. As long as your son takes at least 8 breaths per minute, the machine simply follows his breathing with an inhale pressure of 8.0 cm and an exhale rate of 4.0. If your son's respiratory rate falls under 8 breaths per minute, the timer on the ST will start IPAP. Note this pressure support is not sufficient to cause a breath during a central event, so this is really nothing more than a fixed bilevel machine with a backup rate that seems kind of useless to me. We don't know anything about your son's specific needs, but the ST machine is commonly prescribed for the following conditions:
• Neuromuscular/restrictive disorders
• COPD
• Obesity hypoventilation

The ST is capable of being operated in S-mode in which case it is a simple fixed pressure bilevel (BiPAP-S)

The ASV was mentioned by JesseLee. The Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV and Philips BiPAP Auto SV Advanced are both capable of providing bilevel therapy with an auto-adjusting EPAP to manage obstructive apnea, and a range of pressure support that provides respiratory assistance on a breath by breath basis to ensure that breathing remains at a steady pace and volume. The ASV is capable of treating central apnea if that is an issue, and it can provide a backup breathing rate. The Resmed uses a Pacewave algorithm to maintain the patient's natural breathing rate and minute volume, while Philips has a timed backup rate that is set. In general the Resmed seems to be easier and more natural feeling for patients to use. These machines maintain the breathing rate the volume on a breath by breath basis in real time using an advanced intelligent program. This compares to the ST which simply provides fixed pressures and only timed backup. ASV is use for:
• Periodic breathing, both normocapnic and hypocapnic
• Other forms of central and concomitant obstructive events (mixed sleep apnea)
• Complex sleep apnea

That is information on these machines, and I'm not making a judgment on which is most appropriate for your son. We don't see a lot of ST on the forum, and the cost of these machines is the same as ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2018, 10:49 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The BiPAP ST is a fixed bilevel machine with spontaneous and timed breathing triggers.  As long as your son takes at least 8 breaths per minute, the machine simply follows his breathing with an inhale pressure of 8.0 cm and an exhale rate of 4.0.  If your son's respiratory rate falls under 8 breaths per minute, the timer on the ST will start IPAP.  Note this pressure support is not sufficient to cause a breath during a central event, so this is really nothing more than a fixed bilevel machine with a backup rate that seems kind of useless to me.  We don't know anything about your son's specific needs, but the ST machine is commonly prescribed for the following conditions:
• Neuromuscular/restrictive disorders
• COPD
• Obesity hypoventilation

The ST is capable of being operated in S-mode in which case it is a simple fixed pressure bilevel (BiPAP-S)

The ASV was mentioned by JesseLee. The Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV and Philips BiPAP Auto SV Advanced are both capable of providing bilevel therapy with an auto-adjusting EPAP to manage obstructive apnea, and a range of pressure support that provides respiratory assistance on a breath by breath basis to ensure that breathing remains at a steady pace and volume.  The ASV is capable of treating central apnea if that is an issue, and it can provide a backup breathing rate.  The Resmed uses a Pacewave algorithm to maintain the patient's natural breathing rate and minute volume, while Philips has a timed backup rate that is set.  In general the Resmed seems to be easier and more natural feeling for patients to use.  These machines maintain the breathing rate the volume on a breath by breath basis in real time using an advanced intelligent program.  This compares to the ST which simply provides fixed pressures and only timed backup.   ASV is use for:
• Periodic breathing, both normocapnic and hypocapnic
• Other forms of central and concomitant obstructive events (mixed sleep apnea)
• Complex sleep apnea

That is information on these machines, and I'm not making a judgment on which is most appropriate for your son. We don't see a lot of ST on the forum, and the cost of these machines is the same as ASV.

Thank you very helpful -- 
I'll be asking a lot of questions today and following up with the Dr as well. 
Just hoping something works. I'll ask in the ROHHAD FB groups to see if anyone there has info on recommendations, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
We ended up with a ResMed AirCurve10 ST  (BiPAP )
At least for now. He also chose a full mask. He's used to those more being in the hospital, I suppose.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's an excellent choice and it is what the doctor ordered.  I'm a bit partial to the Resmed machines, and I think this one will work with Sleepyhead as well.  When we talk about Resmed bilevel we use the term VPAP because BiPAP is the proprietary term for Philips Respironics.  I'm nit picking of course.  From your earlier description of your son's background health the selection of this machine was very understandable.  So that you better understand the pressure adjustment process and logic, I am including the VPAP ST titration protocol below.  This will help guide you as you discuss fine tuning the settings with your doctor.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6472]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2018, 03:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: That's an excellent choice and it is what the doctor ordered.  I'm a bit partial to the Resmed machines, and I think this one will work with Sleepyhead as well.  When we talk about Resmed bilevel we use the term VPAP because BiPAP is the proprietary term for Philips Respironics.  I'm nit picking of course.  From your earlier description of your son's background health the selection of this machine was very understandable.  So that you better understand the pressure adjustment process and logic, I am including the VPAP ST titration protocol below.  This will help guide you as you discuss fine tuning the settings with your doctor.
Bandaid (bandage) / Popcycle -- I understand...never heard of VPAP but I'll try to remember Smile 
Thank you...very reassuring. It has the option to add oxygen if we need, too.
The DME was great, felt bad for everything he has already been dealing with. You've been a HUGE help!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2018, 07:10 PM)kasiahbug Wrote:
(06-06-2018, 03:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: That's an excellent choice and it is what the doctor ordered.  I'm a bit partial to the Resmed machines, and I think this one will work with Sleepyhead as well.  When we talk about Resmed bilevel we use the term VPAP because BiPAP is the proprietary term for Philips Respironics.  I'm nit picking of course.  From your earlier description of your son's background health the selection of this machine was very understandable.  So that you better understand the pressure adjustment process and logic, I am including the VPAP ST titration protocol below.  This will help guide you as you discuss fine tuning the settings with your doctor.
Bandaid (bandage) / Popcycle -- I understand...never heard of VPAP but I'll try to remember Smile 
Thank you...very reassuring. It has the option to add oxygen if we need, too.
The DME was great, felt bad for everything he has already been dealing with. You've been a HUGE help!

I'm glad that you are pleased with your DME as many people hassle with their equipment provider. You have enough on your plate without getting the run around from anyone else. 

Best wishes, and sorry for any added confusion on my behalf.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  S-11 reviews Bilzer 2 458 05-23-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 690 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  Dreamstation BiPAP AutoSV VS BiPAP S/T? racprops 1 522 08-07-2022, 11:25 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir
  Can a BiPAP user use a CPAP if BiPAP not aviable? jdelcore71 6 1,173 06-17-2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.