Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP ST to ASV - Optimizing
RE: BiPAP ST to ASV - Optimizing
There are a number of reviews for collars in the Review Forum. They vary in comfort and effectiveness a lot, and it is a trial and error process of learning how much collar height you need, and finding one that provides the most comfortable fit. Collars are really no different than trying on different underwear...one is too tight, another too loose, one doesn't breathe and feels clammy and another bunches up and gives you a wedgie Smile Through trial and error and experience you eventually find what works best for you, even if it is none at all. The interesting thing with collars is many users eventually train themselves to avoid positions that cause the obstruction. The collar is a therapeutic aid and a training device.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just checking back in. 

Been travelling for work the last month and haven't had a ton of time and energy to come on here and give y'all updates. 

My scores on the ASV have been fairly decent - in the 1.5-3.5 range , as high as 5 if there's leaks going on. 

However, most days in the last month, I have not felt refreshed, and many of those days I've been downright exhausted and needing a nap to survive the day.  Some days, I am unable to communicate with other people effectively by 3pm in the afternoon. 

This is with me in bed 9 hours per night with the ASV machine on default settings, mouth tape over my mouth, and a cervical collar most days.   Kind of at my wits end with all this because I'm not contemplating whether or not Id just be better off without any of it. 

Just for context, here is my Oura ring Data for the last 2 nights.  Oura Rings are like wearable sleep trackers, not the most accurate.  Although, I will say, it does match my experience.  I am up numerous times every night once I fall asleep and typically with an anxiety so intense that it's difficult to fall back asleep.

I use a nasal pillows mask.  What if that's the problem?  Should I try a different one?  I've never had success with full face mask or regular nasal mask.   

I'm sure you'll ask for my oscar data.  Give me some time, Ill post some recent nights.  Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It could be 3 things I'm seeing as possible issues.

1 is short sleep time, the info you posted said just short of 5 hours.

Item 2 is you state you're on default settings. Did this mean you've not changed your PAP pressures from EPAP 4-15 PS 3-15 if on ASV Auto mode? Most everyone needs to edit the settings a bit for themselves.

3. Sleep efficiency at 55%, sounds like there's some work to be done to make it better.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The sleep time at 5 hours is how much actual sleep it detected with me being in bed for 9 hours. You can see the white spikes where it senses me waking up. Hence the 55%

I went to bed at 10 and woke up at 7. Woke up a few times and was up for an hour from 4-5
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve got it on min epap 4 - max epap 14

Min ps 4 / max ps 14

ASV auto mode
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, when we see OSCAR shots, it's possible pressures may be needing a small edit. Best guess it's EPAP Min. It may turn out nothing is needed pressure wise. There could be leaks or several other possibilities.

How is your overall sleep hygiene?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding sleep hygiene I’ve done everything anyone has ever told u to improve sleep

Meditation
Magnesium
Blue blocking glasses
Cbd
Reading paperback books
Getting plenty of exercise
No phone in bedroom
Etc etc etc
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, looks like large leaks are def one of the main problems 0- Here are 3 nights.  2 being the last 2 nights and 1 being what appears to be an ideal night with low leakage.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep the leaks are what I'd work on. The middle chart of these 3, 9/29 I think, represents your best of these on leaks. Even if you don't get it real low, if you can get it like that it'll be better for you. You don't need zero leaks, but as low as you can attain comfortably and repeatedly.

Higher leaks cause 3 things, disruptions to sleep, reduced therapy effectiveness, and reduced chart accuracy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m gonna try the nasal mask tonight (not pillows)

Found an unused one in a drawer from my sleep study and took it for a test drive on the ASV - it was impossible to use this with the Bipap due to consistently high pressures

It was actually pretty tolerable with ASV and could potentially be less prone to leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  New User - Help Optimizing Therapy Jakeb24 3 222 03-07-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,383 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
Sad Lygodia Therapy Thread: Optimizing My Airsense 10 lygodia 43 2,658 02-09-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: lygodia
  Need help optimizing and figuring out data variability please fert 8 521 01-21-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: fert
  Optimizing APAP settings meticulousdonut 3 323 01-16-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: meticulousdonut

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.