Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP advice please?
BiPAP advice please?
Hello. Because you are all so knowledgeable I am hoping you can help me out.  For 7 years I have been using a ResMed VPAP S. I have replaced the water tank several times and it is leaking again. Additionally the machine has some kind of air leak which I can hear and it no longer appears to write my data to the memory card. Looong way of saying I am looking for a new machine!

All I really want is a machine that I can wake up in the morning and look at the (hopefully big) screen to see my stats from the night. Does this exist for BiPAP?  My sister has this on her CPAP and I am really jealous...  What is the point of the machine if you have no clue how things are going?  Bluetoothing my data to an app would be a dream come true of course but just seeing my own AHI in the morning would be enough to set my heart a whirl. 

Anyway...  my Sleep-study AHI is 57 and my pressures are 17 in/12 out.  Many times in the morning my water has been all used up and I’m drying out my brain so I am thinking a larger reservoir may be needed too. 

Any recommendations for best BiPAP with AHI display on the screen? 

Thank-you so much for your help!   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPAP advice please?
Do you have a local DME that you can work with, they should be able to set you up with something that meets your needs.  As to which exact machine, I'm sure someone else will be able to steer you in the right direction.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanx for your reply. 

My closest DME is 2 counties up.  When I got my original machine they just brought it and dumped it at my house. I knew nothing. (my fault)  In retrospect, I was unhappy with the experience. 

This time I’d like a little knowledge going into it. I’ve been researching around the web but nothing beats the knowledge from actual users. For example I have not seen where any sales sites say they have a screen with a daily AHI readout. I am also not seeing user reviews but am seeing lots of reviews from companies/websites selling the machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
GrimeyGal

Welcome to the forum hope you stay with us for the long haul.
If you have insurance the xpap is replaced every 5 years without a big hassle.
The new Resmed models all have full data reporting. Unless you have the ST model for timed breathing I would suggest the Aircurve 10 VAUTO. It is a self titrating model (it adjusts the pressure to your needs) and is very quiet. The humidifier is not real big but is usually sufficient.
This link supplies information about the Aircurve 10 Vauto
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pr...vauto.html

Gerry
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GrimeyGal,

If it were me, I'd likely stick with ResMed as you have that now. The new version is an AirCurve 10 series. I may be incorrect, but as gwc2795 referred to it, the AirCurve 10 VAuto I think is the most direct updated version. Of course, if I'm wrong, someone will correct me after taking my coffee card away.

You can check out deals on the supplier list at the top banner, if you want. As for display, these 10 series are fine there. It will report your info on-screen. You can also use the SD card to import lots of data onto a PC with a free SleepyHead program that most Apnea Board members use with great success. It helps track how the therapy is working for you quite nicely.

Coffee

PS gwc2795 is also correct on insurance replacement at the 5 year mark. Just another option to consider.

(I'm sorry for mix-up. I put Hojo in mistakenly for gwc2795)
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Vauto is an excellent machine as the others have stated. It has a decent color display and records and displays more data than any of the other competing machines. As for Bluetooth the Vauto does not have that capability. The built in cellular modem reports your data to Resmed and you can use the myAir app to retrieve the data. The myAir data is limited, however, in that it uses a scoring system to graphically report the information and is not specific. But, you can retrieve the information anywhere you have access to internet.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanx Gerry and SarcasticDave for the info. 

Yes I have insurance and a script to boot!

I actually read this forum daily for about a year when I originally got my BiPAP! It was what got me through and convinced me I could learn to sleep with a mask. I am now almost addicted to my machine and would never sleep without it! 

I did download Sleepyhead in the past and ordered the card reader off eBay, etc. but my card or machine is now bad and I haven’t been able to get any data for awhile. 

My original DME locked me out of my current machine so I was never able to do anything with it. I will not be repurchasing through them if they put any restrictions on my new one. I have no desire to change my pressure settings but I have a 100% right to my daily stats. 

I am looking at your suggestions now. Thanx again!
Post Reply Post Reply
I will second or third the endorsement for the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto. You should be able to get a complete list of in-network durable medical equipment suppliers from your insurance. In your case, I would not hesitate to travel a bit, or even have the unit shipped.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still recommend the Aircurve 10 VAUTO. 

Go for it!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
What I'd do now:

1. Call your insurance customer service, ask for in-net DME's closest to home then work outwards. Get at least 3 locations/addresses/phone numbers (more is better still).

2. Call each in turn and "feel them out", a kind of grading process on them to determine whether they are worthy of your biz.

3. Once you do find a DME to get the machine, be specific on machine, mask, heated hose or not, etc. Then make proper arrangements to get it or for them to get it to you.

Best to success

lots-o-coffee

PS A BTW: Remember that the DME exists, works for, and needs to earn your business, not the other way around. If you become dissatisfied, stop making their boat payments.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,524 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 203 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 515 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 724 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 185 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.