Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP advisable with a cold?
BiPAP advisable with a cold?
Is it advisable to keep using the BiPAP machine at night with a cold and runny nose? I’ve read conflicting views on the best thing to do including switching to a full face mask. Is there any consensus on this at all?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPAP advisable with a cold?
When I had pneumonia it aggravated my coughing. I discontinued my APAP and slept in a chair. Sleeping was pretty fitful anyways. With a normal cold I continued usage throughout.

The point is to get the best sleep you can so your body can heal. Do what works best for you, it's only a few nights.

You might try a nasal rinse before bed. I use Dr Neil? Sold in most drugstores about $20 cdn. It helps to clear your sinuses so you can get to sleep. Then breathing through the nose helps to keep the sinuses clear for a while.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
my view is always use the cpap or suffer the same consequences as before cpap. some people don't notice the difference but typically the best case result of not using the machine is feeling sick and tired. idk how common or rare it is but every once in a while I read or hear about someone falling asleep at the wheel or worse, actually dying in their sleep from apnea. otoh, I've never heard of harm from papping with congestion so I assume the problem is simply how to do it if one's nose is plugged up. in more than 4 years there's only been one time when my resmed p10 nasal pillow mask failed to break through my congestion and in retrospect I realize I didn't give it long enough to do so that time. while I've never had a ffm, it's a good alternative because it lets you breathe through your mouth. temporarily raising pressure and experimenting with different humidity settings may help. many people successfully use decongestants as well. but most people get away with a few days off now and again so it's really a matter of your comfort level, finding ways to work around it, or accepting the very small but real risk of going without.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
I have never stopped using CPAP for a cold, or worse. It actually makes things tolerable. Any respiratory illness will make it harder to breathe, and the idea you would choose that moment to stop using the aid that keeps you breathing at night is hard to imagine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. It makes sense especially as it’s just the common cold not even flu. I read somewhere that I will be “recycling” my germs. But I wash the mask every day. Perhaps I should also wash the tube daily until the sniffles get better. I had not thought of a nasal rinse. Will try that out.
Post Reply Post Reply
The hose is not likely to get contaminated from you during a cold. There's likely enough air movement to keep anything from traveling against the airflow in the hose.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can't give yourself a worse infection using CPAP. The air exchange rate of a CPAP is about 5-times your respiratory volume, so not only do you not re-breathe exhaled air, it is vented far more than if you did not have the flow and pressure. CPAP actually poses an infection risk to others because it disperses virus particles much farther than a sleeping person. This was a major reason CPAP and more advanced respiratory assist devices were rejected as COVID therapies. CPAP can help you to relieve congestion and improve respiration when you need it most.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a wonderful post. I've learned a lot.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
No reason to hesitate using your Cpap when suffering with a cold. It will help tremendously, as it will cut through all the congestion and actually help you breathe better.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. That’s useful to know.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 690 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Dreamstation BiPAP AutoSV VS BiPAP S/T? racprops 1 521 08-07-2022, 11:25 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.