Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP but still groggy/foggy/tired
BiPAP but still groggy/foggy/tired
Hi All,

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years ago and received a Resmed cpap machine. I didn’t really take it seriously and never really used my machine. I finally decided it was time to get healthy and started using the cpap, with less than desirable results. I was still sleepy and felt worse when I was using it then when I was not.

I decided to do another sleep study at a new sleep clinic (had moved since) and was prescribed a BiPap machine. My prescription says Resmed BiPAP 14/10 cmH20.

I bought the Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto. It was set to Auto 14/10 PS 4.0.

I started using the machine regularly. However, the results are still less than great. I still wake up very groggy in the morning. It takes an hour to get out of bed and for the brain fog to get to a point where I can function somewhat normally. I am tired during the day, and use a lot of caffeine to keep me going.

I went back for a checkup at the sleep clinic and was told that everything looks good and I just need to keep using the machine and get used it to it more. I’ve been using it since July 8th. 

A few other things that I have noticed:

-The humidity is set at 7. I empty the whole tank during 7-8 hours.

-There are some nights where I wake up with a completely dry mouth. I breathe through my mouth since I can’t get enough air through my nose.
-I am wondering if my mask leaks at night. It looks like I am right on the upper edge of “good” on average. I have tried many masks (Resmed F20, Dreamwear Full Face, Amara Full Face). The Resmed F30 seems to fit the best but it still requires a lot of adjusting and finding the “sweet spot” when I put it on.

Any suggestions? I am not sure what to do at this point.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPAP but still groggy/foggy/tired
You need to get those leaks under control for the machine to do it's job.
The F30 is a bit of a diva. Do you know if the leaks are happening around the seals or are you opening your mouth at night under the mask? Chin strap or taping would help with the latter.
Adjust the mask straps, try a different size cushion, or a different full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
beachdude,  Welcome

There is a wiki page here to help you address mask leaks: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ing_a_Mask
And some good tips further down that page.

I use the F30 also and it is a bit fussy...
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Is there anything else concerning in the data or is it all the mask leak?

I will review the guide, and probably try even more masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your screenshots have some data missing.  OSCAR has a screenshot function, Windows F12, Mac fn+F12, or from the OSCAR menubar View > Take Screenshot

With those leaks it's hard to say.  Try to get the leaks reduced as much as possible and re-post a screenshot after the reduction.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 230 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 46 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 68 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,987 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 182 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 138 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.