Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP inhale versus back up breathing?
RE: BiPAP inhale versus back up breathing?
If the machine was racing your breath and seems like it is breathing before you. It could be the trigger was set too light, or the timed backup was kicking in, if it was set.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2017, 06:02 AM)ajack Wrote: If the machine was racing your breath and seems like it is breathing before you. It could be the trigger was set too light, or the timed backup was kicking in, if it was set.

Thanks, ajack. There’s was no reason to think that I’d be getting anything other than a standard BPAP titration. But I must have been. And yes, you’re probably right, the setting didn’t quite work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
when you open your mouth/ jaw with a FFM, that is enough air flow to trigger a breath with normal trigger settings. When they self trigger they are too low. When it feels like you have to suck, or can slowly breath in with out a trigger. it's too high.
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I know what Halfasleep is talking about. I feel that I have a longer exhalation when awake. Quite often, when I’m not quite at the end of exhalation the machine kicks in harder (sort of like the PS has turned off) and I feel forced to inhale sooner than I want to. It has puzzled me as it’s not an ASV and shouldn’t be making me breathe before I’m ready.
Post Reply Post Reply
That does sound like it is triggering too easily. It could be picking up a positive air flow that it thinks is you starting a breath. If it's annoying, you can read up on it to how to decrease the sensitivity.

The clinical manual should have the default values, if you think you have adjusted other stuff. It will also show you the trigger adjustment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m getting confused by some responses, although I’m very appreciative about getting help.

My sleep study went like this....I was to be titrated for BiPAP on a Respironics. 12/8. They hooked me up and for about 5 breaths, all seemed like normal PAP treatment, but with a very liud machine. Then I noticed the machine was anticipating my inhale. I doublechecked by not breathing. Sure enough, the machine was forcing a breath. This didn’t seem like a BPAP feature to me, so I’m guessing they had me on a BiPAP variant with timed breathing support.

So, that’s where I am in the conversation... It would be a welcome development if they were titrating me on more than just standard bilevel, but I’m not familiar enough with machine technology to hazard a guess whether a bilevel can feel as though it’s forcing you to inhale or whether (fingers crossed) they were titrating me on something more complex.
Post Reply Post Reply
To unconfuse...if it was a timed bilevel, IPAP kicked in because it was scheduled and you were holding your breath or otherwise not doing your part. If it was an untimed bilevel, IPAP would only kick in if you had a leak or a reversal in your exhale. If the inhale pressure was overwhelming, it had nothing to do with normal bilevel going into titration because that would not exceed 4-cm.

"You can't always get what you want, you get what you need."
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider: exactly. 

And it seems my experience with the BiPAP at the titration must have involved some kind of inhale facilitator, whatever it gets called.

And now, all of a sudden, I understand what holden is saying.... that a bilevel could in effect feel like it’s forcing a breath at the tail end of an exhale. This actually is an affirmative answer to my original question. But in the meantime, I figured out I must not have been trialed on a plain vanilla bilevel.

——
This is such a great topic because it takes quite a bit of thought about the inhale mechanism, how it relates to a machine, and the various methods to facilitate it. It’s not that easy to talk about the experience of breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,537 Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 282 Yesterday, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 347 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 355 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 166 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 151 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 198 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.