Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP not working for CA
RE: BiPAP not working for CA
I will try the lower support 8-11 tonight. Will see if any change.  I switched back to my newer AirSense 11 which I actually already set to 8-11 since it has a pressure support up to 3. Not sure if that is the same as the AirCurve 10 biPAP response.  I put the dotted line in. Much easier to read.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The Aircurve 10 Vauto and VPAP S have inspiratory timing and trigger/cycle controls. While I expect that lower PS will help, I want you to use the high trigger sensitivity which has worked to reduce CA events for many members. It is the one tool we have without a backup rate to really affect CA because it triggers IPAP with less inspiratory effort and often results in a spontaneous breath. Note on the last chart how events are preceeded by hyperventilation. ASV does ensure that you get a breath by triggeriing pressure support to cause a breath, provided your airway is open. While bilevel does not do the job of ASV, the higher trigger sensitivity can stimulate a breath in some individuals. You did a great job on the charts...you're a natural.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the Resmed AirCurve 10 the sensitivity goes "Very low, low, medium, high ,very high". I assume I should start with "very high".
Post Reply Post Reply
I often advise people to step up the trigger sensitivity one increment at a time so we can observe the results of high, then very-high. If you are in a patient mood, that would be my advise. Changing to high is a pretty significant change in feel, but very-high is a big change in feel.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it.  Earlier posts claimed that very high can feel unstable by overcorrecting.  I'll start with high.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI I am following and do support Sleeprider 's suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
3 days with suggested BIPAP setting trigger sensitivity to "high". See significant improvement but is waning.
Night 1 CA=2.43/hr
Night 2 CA= 3.56
Night 3 CA= 6.44
Used Oxiring third night and O2 drops coincide with CA events.
I've seen this "adaptation" before where a change will make a significant improvement and slowly get worse. Probably need more data. Will see how things go after a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go ahead and move trigger to very high and see what we get. The Vauto is not really intended to treat central apnea, and trigger is the best tool we have.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
So I waited a week using the suggested new settings from 8 - 12 change to  8 -  11 with Trigger changed from medium to high. Significant reduction in CA for the most part.  There are many high leak events but there are no CA's during them. CA's seem to cluster just after a high leak event resolves.

10-day Total/CA events

2.4/2.28, 3.56/2.77, 6.44/4.22, 4.4/3.9, 4.55/3.61, 6.63/4.93, 2.95/2.50, 4.75/3.08, 7.46/5.39, 3.32/3.00

Any more tweaks to suggest?

Thanks very much
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nore cpap is working, again ? Jst617 5 191 03-31-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 149 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 376 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 478 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 231 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 230 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 524 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.