Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP or CPAP
BiPAP or CPAP
Thanks to the people on this forum for all their help. I am finally getting used to CPAP. I lowered my pressure from 16 to 14 in order to adjust. I sleep approx. 6 hrs lately. I would like 8, but I am coming along just like you all said I would.
My question is: My Dr. gave me a prescription for a BiPAP machine since I was having so much trouble. Since then I have accepted and I am adapting to the CPAP machine. Should I go ahead and get the BiPap or tell then never mind I will keep what I have.
I am wondering if I should go ahead and get one since it is an option right now.
Any thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPAP or CPAP
A Bilevel machine gives more flexibility in lowering pressure on exhale.
In my personal opinion this is a case of: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

BTW -- what are they doing about your a-fib? Are they using something like a beta blocker (metoprolol succinate) to control the a-fib?
Are you on a blood thinner?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
A bilevel machine is extremely comfortable to use. By dropping pressure at each exhale and providing needed pressure on inhale, it seems natural and easy. Gone is the feeling of pressure during exhale. For me, a bilevel does not so much lower AHI as compared to CPAP, but it definitely reduced RERA (respirator event related arousals) to an extent that my sleep is now more refreshing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an APAP now but my next one will be a BPAP. I want to know what I'm missing, if anything. I've gotten used to the APAP but that doesn't mean I'm in love with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
bipap machine can function as an apap, but an apap cannot function as a bipap. I would go for the Bipap.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
The OP is on fixed level CPAP. Likely they would give him a fixed level Bilevel.
No mention of auto of any form in the OP.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
hummm - at his pressure i think i would campaign for the auto! If he'd had an auto in the first place there might not be an issue, but bipap is the way to go at that high. My son needs high pressures like that and is getting a bilevel titration in january simply because the level of pressure to keep his airway open maxes out the apap. I may also do a bilevel titration, as my pressures go quite high during rem and the pressure is difficult to tolerate sometimes. I keep my EPR at the max of 3 and easily imagine increasing that for comfort.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 09:58 AM)justMongo Wrote: A Bilevel machine gives more flexibility in lowering pressure on exhale.
In my personal opinion this is a case of: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

BTW -- what are they doing about your a-fib? Are they using something like a beta blocker (metoprolol succinate) to control the a-fib?
Are you on a blood thinner?

They haven't done anything about the a-fib. They suggested a beta blocker, but Dr. said he wouldn't like me on blood thinners if I don't have to. I have had about 2 episodes a year for 4 years.
I truly believe the Cpap treatment, and stopping alcohol will cure the A-fib. It always happens in the middle of the night. Probably cause I was starving for oxygen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 11:32 AM)DariaVader Wrote: hummm - at his pressure i think i would campaign for the auto! If he'd had an auto in the first place there might not be an issue, but bipap is the way to go at that high. My son needs high pressures like that and is getting a bilevel titration in january simply because the level of pressure to keep his airway open maxes out the apap. I may also do a bilevel titration, as my pressures go quite high during rem and the pressure is difficult to tolerate sometimes. I keep my EPR at the max of 3 and easily imagine increasing that for comfort.

The prescription said pressure 8/16. I haven't heard from supplier yet, my insurance may require more time with first machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you decide to go for the bilevel (I would), I would definitely push for the bilevel auto. Just like with straight CPAP and auto CPAP there is not much difference in price between the straight bilevel and the auto bilevel.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 201 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,177 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings ttodd 4 673 11-27-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  CPAP vs Bipap Jose Castro 6 846 11-04-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.