Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP or CPAP
RE: BiPAP or CPAP
(11-24-2015, 11:39 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: The prescription said pressure 8/16. I haven't heard from supplier yet, my insurance may require more time with first machine.

Then you were given the wrong machine. That is an Rx for an AutoPap
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I changed to a biPAP and love it. My Doc had to tell the insurance company (BCBS) that CPAP/APAP did not work for me to justify the BiPAP machine. Once this was done I had to change. YMMV.
Pretty sure you can set a BiPAP to standard CPAP, for the Resmed at least.
If you do get one, get ready for a few more settings to adjust. It can be customized to fit what you need better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 11:36 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: They haven't done anything about the a-fib. They suggested a beta blocker, but Dr. said he wouldn't like me on blood thinners if I don't have to. I have had about 2 episodes a year for 4 years.
I truly believe the Cpap treatment, and stopping alcohol will cure the A-fib. It always happens in the middle of the night. Probably cause I was starving for oxygen.

CPAP and stopping alcohol will certainly improve your outlook. A-fib is the out of sequence firing of the upper chambers of the heart. Sleep Apnea wreaks havoc on the heart.

Alcohol use depends upon amount and duration. Heavy, long term use can alter the structure of the heart muscle. (cardiomyopathy) More reasonable use of alcohol can interfere with sleep and increase apnea.

As long as you are not having long runs of a-fib, I can understand a doctor not wanting to use a blood thinner as they come with their own risks. Long runs of a-fib can cause blood to become stagnate in the atria and form clots. Those clots can shoot through the heart and can cause an embolic stroke or kidney infarct. Beta blockers can control a-fib; and are sometimes used -- that's your doctor's call.

(11-24-2015, 11:39 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: The prescription said pressure 8/16. I haven't heard from supplier yet, my insurance may require more time with first machine.

That's a fixed bilevel Rx. 16 IPAP, 8 EPAP.

If you do get a VPAP auto, the RX will specify 3 pressures: IPAPmax, EPAPmin and PS.

One advantage of a bilevel auto such as the one PaytonA and I use is its ability to be set up to 25 on pressure. Most machines max out at 20.

*** Disclaimer *** I am not a doctor or a member of the healthcare field.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 01:09 PM)DariaVader Wrote:

This is all new to me, I figured the 16 was inhale pressure and 8 was exhale pressure, but I have no idea really.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 01:28 PM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: This is all new to me, I figured the 16 was inhale pressure and 8 was exhale pressure, but I have no idea really.

That may be the case. in either case, an rx of 8/16 is *not* for a fixed pressure CPAP which is what you have in your profile. I mistook it for min and max pressure on an auto... which would then be close to how I have mine set (8/15)

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 01:28 PM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 01:09 PM)DariaVader Wrote:

This is all new to me, I figured the 16 was inhale pressure and 8 was exhale pressure, but I have no idea really.
I believe it is; and that Daria was respectfully mistaken.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 01:37 PM)justMongo Wrote: I believe it is; and that Daria was respectfully mistaken.

There's a first time for everything Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin sorry - had to say that!

IMO, you need to be on an auto machine because you clearly have trouble tolerating the pressure you need to maintain an open airway, and you probably only need that high a pressure for a portion of the night. Even in Canada where they won't allow an APAP for most, they will do so if pressure requirement to maintain airway has a variance > 4 due to positional changes or REM vs non-REM.

Because the pressure is high, it is also my opinion that the auto machine should be a bilevel. I am not the one around here who is an expert on bilevel, though. I currently use a simple APAP.

Post Reply Post Reply
I love my VPAP Auto. It is as smooth as polished teflon. My PS is only 4. Might not quite seem quite as smoooooth if the PS needed to be higher. With an IPAP of 20 and a PS of 4, I have no problem exhaling. It even seems effortless.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 09:10 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: I am wondering if I should go ahead and get one since it is an option right now.
Any thoughts?

I would look into getting one because it gives you the option of getting rid of what you have now, which is a perfectly good machine except for the fact that it's not auto-adjusting.

See if you can get a ResMed A10 or S9 VPAP Auto. It will allow you to spend more time at the lower more comfortable pressures.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jump into the most machine you can get... a BiPAP Auto is wonderful for it's abilities.

I use the PR Sys One 760, and the versatility of the machine is great.
I'm on Auto with inhale pressure of 11-12.5 and exhale at 9.

Making the spread too high works against me.
I tried straight CPAP and got a bloated painful stomach. BiPAP made a big difference. And Auto, wow, that's adding another powerful ability.

With an Auto machine, it's great to look graphically at the numbers to see where you're at, over time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 247 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 200 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,177 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  bipap Innisfree 2 420 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings ttodd 4 673 11-27-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  CPAP vs Bipap Jose Castro 6 846 11-04-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.