Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OA Clusters
OA Clusters
I have always had relatively few OA events while using CPAP.  My AHI ranges from .44 to 4. something with an average of 3.45 mostly made up of CAs and  hypopneas.  My hypopneas are never over 10 and never clustered.  My CAs are sometimes clustered but rarely go over 13 seconds.  I think that the clustered CAs are just tossing and turning.
However, in the last two weeks I have had three nights with clustered OAs.  On one night I took an Advil PM so that could explain that night. It has been hot here and I am using a nasal mask.  Thinking of switching back to pillows.  Also bad allergies right now.
Thinking also of upping my pressure by 1 to 11.
Thoughts -
Thank you - Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Brick 
RE: OA Clusters
Hi,

I suppose your machine is not automatic,  right?

Then I think it is ok to increase the pressure by 1.

But I want to tell that the most important thing is how you are feeling when you wake up. If it is ok, don't worry about a slight change in your cpap numbers.

I was diagnosed in 2003, so I am a little bit experienced in that.

Every night is different than others,, so check how you feel in the morning, have a look at the cpap numbers and only worry if you feel bad or you have many discrepancies in the numbers.

I wish you well!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your reply.  I feel well most days.  From my further reading on the forum, I found that OA clusters were caused by positional apnea... mostly chin drop.  I have an automatic machine but have it set at 7.4 to 10.  I will most likely keep it there and watch my chin.
Thanks again Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Clustered obstructive apnea are a typical signature of what we often call positional apnea or chin tucking. We discuss it in the Optimizing Therapy wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea and when it is severe, we often recommend a soft cervical collar to correct it. As far as auto-pressure, we have not found that positional apnea responds to higher pressure in most cases, and it becomes more important to avoid it by considering your pillow height and other issues that might result in chin-tucking.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to elaborate: a fairly low and firm pillow can help. Depending on how your chin-tucking occurs, it's also possible a neck-support pillow would help. (Those are the pillows with a mound that runs along the bottom edge of the pillow.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much.  I truly appreciate the information and this board.
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 84 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  Help Interpreting Oscar Charts - Huge Clusters of OA Heaviside 3 378 02-22-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 823 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,057 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Will an ASV machine help eliminate my CSA/CSR clusters ? barney999 8 1,001 07-12-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: barney999
  [CPAP] CA Clusters MoritzP99 34 2,147 03-13-2023, 03:20 AM
Last Post: MoritzP99
  Clusters, collars and tennis balls. Expat31 7 864 07-19-2022, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.