Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPAP postop recovery
BiPAP postop recovery
Hello all - I am about to undergo a 3 hour surgery to remove a small tumor. While I was told I can bring my BiPap for my overnight stay, I am concerned about post surgery.

I was told I would be intubated during the surgery and on oxygen during recovery. As my significant other will probably not be allowed into the hospital, I will likely have to get someone from the hospital to get me hooked up, if they remember.

Also, what if the hospital wants me on oxygen with the bipap or in place of. Any suggestions on what to tell the staff, equipment to buy, etc. would be appreciated.

Since I live at 7k feet, and need this Bipap to help with the central core apnea's, I am concerned if they don't hook me up.

My machine is the ResMed AirCurve 10 ST and my mask is the ResMed nasal pillows (which I love).

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPAP postop recovery
I have been through that many times. Just take your machine mask, hose, power block with you. The respiratory therapist that is in all hospitals will have the connection device to hook up O2 to your machine. I promise if you just bring your machine and hookups they will supply the oxygen.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.
Be sure to tell the doctor, anesthetist, and RT your Pre=Treatment AHI. This let's them KNOW that you have an issue without your machine.
Connecting oxygen to your machine is not and issue. The 'normal' amounts of oxygen they use will not produce the results that they normally see but that is not an issue because they will be monitoring your Oxygen sats during surgery and recovery.

I had a knee replacement and they had my machine 'certified' for use in the ER, basically an electric check, and I used it during surgery with O2 added. My 2 YO sleep diagnostic study (IMHO so the docs could make a yacht payment) said 77 AHI (hey that is down from 90+).
Post Reply Post Reply
Your ST is not the best option for central or complex apnea. Once you get the surgery all sorted out, I hope you will download the free OSCAR program and post some charts. For individuals like yourself at high altitude with central apnea the better choice of machine is the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. We will help you to evaluate the efficacy of your current treatment with the ST and coach you on improving therapy.

For the hospital stay, make sure your chart shows central sleep apnea, with the bilevel ST required. Staff will know how to setup the machine and assist you in putting on a mask. You will probably have a monitor that alarms for low SpO2, and if you need supplemental oxygen they will either provide it with a cannula without the PAP machine, or they may be able to use an oxygen bleed adapter to add it to the PAP circuit. Take a look at our wiki on using an oxygen bleed with CPAP. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 352 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 689 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  Dreamstation BiPAP AutoSV VS BiPAP S/T? racprops 1 520 08-07-2022, 11:25 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir
  Can a BiPAP user use a CPAP if BiPAP not aviable? jdelcore71 6 1,170 06-17-2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.