Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mouth Leak?
Thumbsup 
Mouth Leak?
I have been on treatment for two weeks, just getting started with a trial machine and an Airfit P10 mask.

My RN has adjusted the machine twice and has alluded to possible mouth leak. On the other hand, ResMed MyAir has been telling me I have great seal.

Wanting to be sure I am doing this right, and downloaded SleepyHead to take a look and it is looking like big leak, followed by waking up.

Wondering if someone can look at this and tell me if the issue is mouth leak or otherwise and give me some suggestions.

All suggestions most welcome.

[Image: gzJ5UZll.png]
[Image: GsKlOtxl.png]
Always grateful for help received. I am a part of all that I have met.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth Leak?
Welcome, and good job on the graphs! You hve some leaks, but the fragmentation of the therapy is a bigger concern. Also, I don't think the ramp from 5 cm is doing you any favors.

The median leak rate on this chart is 0, so you're doing well most of the time. As pressure rises, your leak rate seems to increase, then come under control. By using ramp, you are inviting the flow limitation that is the driver for the steep pressure increases. I would encourage you to simply turn-off ramp. This will allow you to get the best possible mask seal before sleeping, and may prevent some of the hypopnea that is being recorded just as ramp ends. Based on what you posted, the need for a more stable pressure without ramp is the biggest problem I see. I think if you stabilize pressure by starting around 8 cm we might be able to filter out a lot of noise.

What are the breaks in therapy? Are you getting up, or just turning off the machine and restarting?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow great timing. Just sitting down to turn off the machine. Have turned off ramp and am starting at 7.6. I will look up how to set pressure tomorrow. Gaps are from getting up. Something I'm trying to stop.

Will post in the am

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Following this post to see what other advice comes up. I have a similar graph with AHI between 5 and 6, no more obstructive apneas, but a good number of hypopneas.

Best of luck on your therapy and fine tuning!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok. Last night I turned off ramp and turned minimum pressure up to 8cm. I liked the availability of the air, but my sinuses and ears were working to get used to the air at the outset. Got better as the night progressed.

You will note breaks. Two due to just waking and feeling enough pressure to think I should void. Middle one was longer. Have a knee issue which is usually dormant but there was a bit of pain there, so got up and moved it around a while until the pain disappeared. First time for that in a while.

I am a side sleeper and am figuring out how to turn without having to unhook the mask and reset the entire arrangement. Didn't have to do it for that reason last night

Next time I awoke a but of dampness on the pillow by my mouth and mouth was dry but nothing like that the rest of the night.

Graphs are below. Interested of course in comment, and suggestion.

[Image: OMIBdU3l.png]

[Image: ZFgKgiUl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
So last night was a disaster. Tried a medi pot to clear sinuses and did nothing but clog the whole system up. So discouraging, but will try again tonight. I won't post last night because it was so bad, but if snyone had time to look at the day before, comments most welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 3 105 2 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 39 2 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 58 8 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 53 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 85 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 190 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.