Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out!
RE: BiPap Ramps up-Blows my brains out!
Generally I feel very bad.

I have used a CPAP for about 17 years .

Starting last Thanksgiving my quality sleeping was getting worse so I had a sleep study on March 3rd.   Recomended to chage from CPAP to BiPAP.

Got my BiPAP (see first reports -monthly) March 19th.  A first I started sleeping much better.

I got the impression from the report montly summary that every month I was getting worse.  i.e. I started feeling worse since March 19th.

Problems were dry throat, empty water in Dreamstation humidifyer in like 6 hours.  Seamed like the presurre was constant high presure (aka "Blows my Brains Out")

I realized eventually that I was opening my mounth.  I wonder which camer first.  The chicken or the egg.  Is the high pressure causing my mouth to open, or the other way around.

Bought a chin strap.  I was interacting with my nasal mask headgear and rubbing my left nose raw.  Had to stop in 3 days.

Bought a Philips hybrid mask to cover my nose.  Been wearing it for a few days.   Wife said I was snoring into the mask.   Cannot get it to fit right.  Changed today from small to medium / wide cup.  Made changes per this site. i.e. turned Auto mode on, etc

I will see what tonight brings and post daily screenshots again tommorow.

I have an appointment to see a new Sleep Doctor in 3 weeks.  I have low expectations, but am willing to be surprised.
Post Reply Post Reply
To me, snoring means your PAP isn't keeping your airway patent as it should. This means the airway is closing somewhat IMO. Mouth leaks could be keeping therapy from doing well. Either try to use that strap to keep the air in or consider a full face mask. Again all my opinion.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2021, 12:11 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You are using your auto-BiPAP in fixed pressure mode at 16/12 (IPAP/EPAP).  I'm going to suggest some changes to improve comfort, and perhaps improve AHI, which is predominately CA and H events typical for pressure support being too high, but overall is very good.   Using Auto BiPAP mode will allow you to have lower overall pressure and should improve comfort.  Suggested setting:
Mode: BiPAP Auto
EPAP min: 9.0
IPAP max 16.0
PS min 3.0
PS max 4.0

Please use the daily details chart as it contains much more relevant information than these summary and overview charts.

I made the changes suggested above by sleeprider.  I sleep longerthan average 8h, feel better, and do not feel like the machine pressure is too hard (aka blows my brains out).  The will attach 3 daily screens from last night. screen #3 on the left side, also has the settings I keyed in to make sure I did everyting correctly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If you're feeling better for the setting changes, then you're headed in the right direction.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 378 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 454 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  DreamStation 2 ramps down as soon as touch screen is touched bcodemz 3 501 10-23-2023, 04:15 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Help with bipap Al N 7 754 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 711 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  Dreamstation BiPAP AutoSV VS BiPAP S/T? racprops 1 539 08-07-2022, 11:25 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir
  Can a BiPAP user use a CPAP if BiPAP not aviable? jdelcore71 6 1,233 06-17-2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.