Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPap machine ?
RE: BiPap machine ?
Grammabear, if it wasn't obvious, I disagree with Sleepster. BiPAP can be really comfortable, but using a pressure support of 16 is not going to work. I'm sure the machine was setup for comfort which would be closer to a pressure support of 4.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2015, 12:15 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sleepster, what would happen to you if your machine was setup as you described? 20/4, you've gotta be kidding! That would over-ventilate most of us into severe CA territory...give it a try.

No, I won't! If I raise my PS much above 4 it induces CA's. If I were to raise my IPAP to 20 I'd be pumping my stomach up like a balloon.

Interesting, though, to think about what effect this would have on someone who doesn't have OSA. Would all those CA's interfere with their sleep quality? Probably no one has ever looked at that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My grandson's father tells me that he is improving slightly and I know tis true. My Son also told me that the boy has exhibited a "teen-age" attitude - so doesn't that mean he may be getting better? At any rate, today they will begin weaning him from the Bipap machine to see if he can maintain his breathing and oxygen levels on his own power. He has pneumonia in his left lung but is beginning to sound better to the nurse when she listens to his chest. Again, thank you for your kind wishes and the explanations about the Bipap machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepRider, I dunno....if it is severe pneumonia, they could very well have it at 20 IPAP 4 EPAP.

I've heard of that sort of use where there is still just enough spontaneous air exchange by the patient...but they are really working hard to keep it going. It's less invasive than intubating (which means the respiration has degraded to the point where full mechanical support is needed), but still gives the support needed while letting the patient initiated breathing control the cycle (more comfortable for the patient, less recovery getting the body to breathe on its own again).

Regardless, it's definitely not a setting you'd see in a typical apnea patient!
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:

My grandson has improved to the point where he has been dismissed with a feeding tube for additional calories. He was moved from ICU last weekend when he could maintain his breathing without the BiPap machine. We are happy he is recovering slowly but surely. Thank you for the positive thoughts and prayers.
Post Reply Post Reply
GrammaBear,
Glad to hear your grandson is improving!
I know it's not easy to watch our children and grandchildren get sick.
Wishing you and your family the best. Keep us posted. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,157 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 2 548 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Last Post: marvin2023
Sad [Treatment] Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine dnar82 6 712 09-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Can I use Bipap Machine for Cpap Julia63 8 688 09-21-2023, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.