Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPap not helping?
RE: BiPap not helping?
Sometimes CPAP therapy can induce central apneas. Often, but not always, it subsides. You will just have to stay with it and see what happens. Meanwhile, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
An AHI of 70 is not treated. You have complex apnea. About 15% of patients do have this form. A few can be treated with BiPAP, but most will fail CPAP and BiPAP and require ASV (Adaptive Servo Ventilation). Because the ASV machine costs more, most insurance companies require that the medical necessity of ASV be demonstrated by failing CPAP and BiPAP. That is where you are. You need to talk to your doctor and make him aware that bilevel therapy is not effective and you require a different approach (ASV). Call him now! Call him every day until he is sick of hearing about it. This therapy will work great for you once you have the right one.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds to me like your doctor is trying to make sure that you fail with the Vauto in S mode to make it easier to justify the ASV. I would not let it go too long before I would start pushing my doc to go after the ASV.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You do not have to wait a month. Be nice, but push. AHI of 70 is not great, good or anything else. You are a long way from 5 and the chances of it going from 70 to 5 in a month just by getting used to it is almost zero. You have central apnea and an ASV machine is the only treatment for that. Be nice, but push.
Post Reply Post Reply
Y'all are great. Thanks for your comments and advice. Getting a new doc who will prescribe a servo is not a problem, my pulmonologist, not the neurologist who is currently treating me, has already said he thinks a servo may be what I need but MEDICARE- who knows - they won't budge on lots of issues and I don't know if this is an issue or not. My average events are 77.3 with 76.5 being central events. I am on some pretty heavy duty medication and I am sure that is a main contributor to the central apnea. The meds cannot be changed so I need the machine to work for me. It's a bit scary to still be having this many events while using a machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2016, 07:56 PM)Gshell Wrote: Y'all are great. Thanks for your comments and advice. Getting a new doc who will prescribe a servo is not a problem, my pulmonologist, not the neurologist who is currently treating me, has already said he thinks a servo may be what I need but MEDICARE- who knows - they won't budge on lots of issues and I don't know if this is an issue or not. My average events are 77.3 with 76.5 being central events. I am on some pretty heavy duty medication and I am sure that is a main contributor to the central apnea. The meds cannot be changed so I need the machine to work for me. It's a bit scary to still be having this many events while using a machine.

With Medicare you have to jump through some hoops. Generally you need a sleep study with both a standard Cpap machine and an ASV machine. You have to fail with the standard machine and then succeed with the ASV machine. This can be done in a split study. The same machine can be set for both standard Cpap/Bi-pap and ASV. You then need a follow up visit with the sleep doc at 61 days where the doc certifies that your machine is providing therapeutic treatment. You already have data (and probably a sleep study) showing that standard Cpap does not work. Read as much as you can so that you can have a good conversation with your new Doc. Best of luck.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2016, 08:52 AM)cpdaniel Wrote:
(03-09-2016, 10:37 PM)justMongo Wrote: ... The ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO should have 3 pressure numbers.
IPAPmin, IPAPmax, and PS (Pressure Support.)

Minor correction- the settings on the AC 10 are >EPAPmin<, IPAPmax and PS.

Typo.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
As my medicare advisor provider says,
" A Dr can get done thru Medicare whatever he wants if willing to fill out a form to get it done".
Its finding a Doc willing to spend 10 minutes to fill out the form.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are right about the Medicare. Everyone's input has made me aware of what to ask and what I should expect. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
In an earlier comment to my post some suggested I share a waveform - just installed Sleepyhead and I can't find a waveform. the daily reports are great. Printing them out and taking to my doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep arturg 4 143 2 hours ago
Last Post: arturg
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 260 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  CPAP Not Helping... Possible UARS?? TiredTim 0 157 04-02-2024, 05:24 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 245 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 353 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 452 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Diagnosis] Cpap not helping, what should i do next? shedu1337 3 457 11-14-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.