Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Big AHI drop with starting on S9 Autoset?
Big AHI drop with starting on S9 Autoset?
Hello everyone, first time post.

I have been using a loan S7 Autoset spirit for about three weeks and recently cut over to my recently purchased S9 Autoset. I set the new machine to the same settings as the clinician set on the loan unit. I was typically averaging around 6 AHI with the loan unit but am seeing 2 AHI or less with the S9 Autoset.

Is this to be expected? Is it to do with the way it records events? Or is it just the machine working better?

Thanks,
Deemus
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Big AHI drop with starting on S9 Autoset?
It may not be that it is working better but rather it is reporting better. The software/firmware of how it figures out its stuff is much better.

It could also be that your S7 was not just providing the pressure it says it was. My poor old S7 Lightweight was off by several points, bless its tired heart.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Probably D) All of the above. :-)

The S9 uses an updated algorithm for detection and for adjusting pressure, and because of that, you'll get different recording of events... and therefore, it's working better.

Interesting note - while checking out my answer for accuracy, I found that ResMed supplied an upgrade kit to change an s7 elite CPAP to an s7 Spirit Autoset. It was just a software upgrade.

Really????

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2012, 10:34 PM)CHanlon Wrote: Probably D) All of the above. :-)

The S9 uses an updated algorithm for detection and for adjusting pressure, and because of that, you'll get different recording of events... and therefore, it's working better.

OMG I love this site, thanks for the quick replies! Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
We are all bored with our Real Lives so we hang out here to compensate.

Welcome to Apnea Board and glad you found answers!

Welcome
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
(05-17-2012, 11:04 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: We are all bored with our Real Lives so we hang out here to compensate.

Welcome to Apnea Board and glad you found answers!

Welcome

True dat!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2012, 10:22 PM)Deemus Wrote: Is this to be expected? Is it to do with the way it records events? Or is it just the machine working better?

It could be any of these, or it could just be a coincidence. It's best to wait a few weeks to see what the AHI will do as time goes by.

It could also just be your acclimation to CPAP therapy. It's comon for the AHI to drop as we get used to the CPAP therapy itself.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be also your quality of sleep is affected bc in deeper rem sleep which is restorative sleep AHI goes up
as more events get scored than other types of sleep

Post Reply Post Reply
I've only had my S9 Autoset for a couple of weeks now, and I noticed a big drop in my AHI as well. With the old RemStar Auto my AHI was about 4.5 at an average pressure of 9.5. The ResMed S9 Autoset has pushed my pressure to 11.5 and reduced the AHI to .1 and I think that I'm sleeping better throughout the night. Great machine, and paired with the Swift FX, an unbeatable combination.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2012, 07:01 AM)EyesWideOpen Wrote: Great machine, and paired with the Swift FX, an unbeatable combination.

I agree, thats my combination as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 3 86 2 hours ago
Last Post: sabletaurus
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 14 769 Yesterday, 10:42 PM
Last Post: apneavolt
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 0 69 04-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  Starting Again wxmcpo 10 132 04-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 14 831 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: redking2436
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 187 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 358 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.