Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Big AHI drop with starting on S9 Autoset?
RE: Big AHI drop with starting on S9 Autoset?
Got some strange people looking at me these days, between the avatars Abearir, EyesWideOpen and Cobra4x4 are using, I mean... Too-funny

[Image: cpap-dude.jpg?dateline=1334464605] [Image: saywhat.jpg?dateline=1330348862] [Image: avatar_128.gif?dateline=1337626804]

That's enough to keep me awake at night and give me bad dreams! Shock crygreen
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2012, 11:34 PM)zonk Wrote: It could be also your quality of sleep is affected bc in deeper rem sleep which is restorative sleep AHI goes up
as more events get scored than other types of sleep

What you say could be true, but some people's AHI actually goes up when they are in a wakeful state. I notice a lot more central apneas when I am struggling to fall or asleep, or when I am laying awake after awakening. The bottom line is, you have to look at the AHI and see what the breakdown is, particularly the type of events that are occurring and when are they occurring. Central apneas occuring during wakefulness are probably of little concern, since it is unlikely they are going to be accompanied by hypoxemia.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2012, 08:24 AM)BabyDoc Wrote:
(05-20-2012, 11:34 PM)zonk Wrote: It could be also your quality of sleep is affected bc in deeper rem sleep which is restorative sleep AHI goes up
as more events get scored than other types of sleep

What you say could be true, but some people's AHI actually goes up when they are in a wakeful state. I notice a lot more central apneas when I am struggling to fall or asleep, or when I am laying awake after awakening. The bottom line is, you have to look at the AHI and see what the breakdown is, particularly the type of events that are occurring and when are they occurring. Central apneas occuring during wakefulness are probably of little concern, since it is unlikely they are going to be accompanied by hypoxemia.
Ok. I take it as a comment

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2012, 11:04 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: We are all bored with our Real Lives so we hang out here to compensate.

Welcome to Apnea Board and glad you found answers!

Welcome

I don't think the word I would use would be "bored". This year the word would be...hmm....oh, wait, I can't say that, this is a family board! I am already waiting for the year to be over with! Descriptive enough?
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Me too bored ...got nothing to do - it does rhyme too
Too-funnyDielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Deemuse, Welcome! to the forum. Sounds to me like you are getting used to your machine, GREAT,! continued success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2012, 08:24 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: What you say could be true, but some people's AHI actually goes up when they are in a wakeful state. I notice a lot more central apneas when I am struggling to fall or asleep, or when I am laying awake after awakening. The bottom line is, you have to look at the AHI and see what the breakdown is, particularly the type of events that are occurring and when are they occurring. Central apneas occuring during wakefulness are probably of little concern, since it is unlikely they are going to be accompanied by hypoxemia.

I find a very similar thing here too.

CSA/CA happens often when I am falling asleep or just waking up, but not fully awake yet.

In addition, I find CA happens when awake when I am concentrating and focused intensely on some problem or task when sitting at the desk. If I read something that requires focus, I soon realize I am getting light-headed and need to breathe. It starts out as shallow breathing and then slows to a stop. It's quite a strange thing, this CA. You would think the brain, being an oxygen hog, would be more a dictator and demand with an iron fist that the lungs keep working...Dancing

I wonder what is behind CA in a wakeful state? I can start breathing full breaths for 30 seconds, then as soon as I go on to something else, the breathing falls way off. During excercise, breathing is heavy and normal without thinking about it.

Tom

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2012, 09:40 PM)Tommy C Wrote: In addition, I find CA happens when awake when I am concentrating and focused intensely on some problem or task when sitting at the desk. If I read something that requires focus, I soon realize I am getting light-headed and need to breathe. It starts out as shallow breathing and then slows to a stop. It's quite a strange thing, this CA. You would think the brain, being an oxygen hog, would be more a dictator and demand with an iron fist that the lungs keep working...Dancing

Bear in mind that the brain consumes more energy when you are thinking hard, and the brain burns only glucose. It is quite common for people to become temporarily hypoglycemic when thinking hard. In fact, one of the symptoms of hypoglycemia is irrritability. Have you ever interrupted someone lost in thought while working on a difficult question? Did they snap at you? It was not their personality; it was hypoglycemia.

I'm not saying that this is what happens to you. I am merely pointing out that becoming lightheaded while working on a difficult problem may be caused by hypoglycemia rather than anoxia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same thing just happened to me. Trial S8 Autoset had me at AHI of 3.7. First night on S9 Autoset had me at .9.

(05-17-2012, 10:22 PM)Deemus Wrote: Hello everyone, first time post.

I have been using a loan S7 Autoset spirit for about three weeks and recently cut over to my recently purchased S9 Autoset. I set the new machine to the same settings as the clinician set on the loan unit. I was typically averaging around 6 AHI with the loan unit but am seeing 2 AHI or less with the S9 Autoset.

Is this to be expected? Is it to do with the way it records events? Or is it just the machine working better?

Thanks,
Deemus

Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP machines vary greatly in how quickly and accurately they adjust pressure in respect to apneas.

S9 AutoSet in particular seems to detect the precursors to actual apnea and react before they happen.

It's also been speculated that S9 records a lot fewer apneas, even at the same pressure. The belief seems to be that it's less harsh on judging borderline apnea events. Or that it's smarter somehow and avoids false alarms.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 676 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 636 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 4 477 11-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 404 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.