Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Big changes in flow rate
Big changes in flow rate
Hello,

I imported my sleep records to OSCAR for the first time in years, and I found that my flow rate changes a lot while I sleep. Should I be worried about that? I do feel a lot tired most days.

I'm uploading 1 picture, but this happens almost every night

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Big changes in flow rate
your low volume flow rate areas correspond to higher leak rates. the lower leak graph line is unintentional leaks (my understanding is that pr machines' upper graph line includes designed venting). whether events and flow limitations contribute to leaks or vice versa isn't easy to determine but reducing mask and mouth leak are the first things I'd try to fix.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
I can't agree more with sheepless and will butt out, but saw "Big changes in flow rate" and had to take a look and then got a chance to learn something basic and be puzzled by something more obscure--obscure to me anyway--about Dreamstations.

As a Resmed user alone, it was good to learn intentional leak is added, basically, to detected additional leak as shown in the two curves--if I understand sheepless.

No need to talk about hints of positional or positional-change matters in OA and VS clusters if leak confounds all at about a 30-40 L (?) level. The interesting 4.0 RDI tease is entirely in the worst, early part of the 01:15-05:15 zone of confusion--all that with 1/3 of remainder of the session going up past 30 again. Is top level 4.0 RDI meaningful spanning such a highest and then lowest leak?

Those leaks attended-to and fixed would likely spruce up what I think would be a near decent flow rate curve if could be replayed. If significant RDI continues in low leaks to come, then I hope sheepless or others can reconcile RDI with all else.

Actually, the 05:30-6:30 and last 3/4 hour are at or below 30--less confused by leak--the earlier hour with 1.0 RDI and later 3/4 hour with 0.0 RDI. Anyone, what explains the DS RDI difference in this lower leak period?
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2022, 04:47 PM)sheepless Wrote: your low volume flow rate areas correspond to higher leak rates. the lower leak graph line is unintentional leaks (my understanding is that pr machines' upper graph line includes designed venting). whether events and flow limitations contribute to leaks or vice versa isn't easy to determine but reducing mask and mouth leak are the first things I'd try to fix.

Thanks!

Interesting that the machine says the mask fit is 100% all night. So that can't be trusted?
Post Reply Post Reply
If that chart is associated with a 100% mask fit, then it's clearly not reliable. It will help a lot if your charts include the summary statistics in the Daily Sidebar (F8). We really need that information to infer objective statements about the flow and leak rates.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2022, 08:20 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If that chart is associated with a 100% mask fit, then it's clearly not reliable.  It will help a lot if your charts include the summary statistics in the Daily Sidebar (F8).  We really need that information to infer objective statements about the flow and leak rates.

The screenshot including the summary statistics is attached, thanks for your help

Post Reply Post Reply
if you're getting the mask fit assessment via the 'run mask fit' feature under 'options', that's all well and good while awake. it doesn't mean much with respect to mask fit while asleep and moving around.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2022, 11:55 AM)sheepless Wrote: if you're getting the mask fit assessment via the 'run mask fit' feature under 'options', that's all well and good while awake. it doesn't mean much with respect to mask fit while asleep and moving around.

No, I'm talking about the info in the summary, which shows how fit the mask was in the last day, 7 days and month. See the attached picture

Post Reply Post Reply
sorry, I forgot you have a pr machine which I've never used. in looking at your charts, your leaks are far from zero, if that's what 100% means.

Post Reply Post Reply
Traysh, I don't see a huge problem with your chart. The machine has trouble accurately measuring flow when leaks are high. The normal vent/leak rate for your mask is about 24-28 L/min and a large leak is one that affects machine performance will be about twice the design leak. When you leak is over 60 L/min, you are in large leak territory and I'm surprised Oscar is not flagging that. Did you manually set the unintentional leak threshold in Preferences? Anyway, your therapy results look pretty good. I can't tell why the machine increased pressure at 01:47, but Philips mostly increases pressure for snores and obstructive apnea. The cluster of OA looks positional. Overall, no changes are needed, but if you have not tried Flex at 2 instead of 3, give that a try. The use of Smartramp is cancelling your ramp, and you might as well turn off ramp.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 76 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 248 3 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 307 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 112 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.