Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Big dogs and CPAP
Big dogs and CPAP
So it was my third night, everything is going well, good numbers, getting the mask comfortable, and feeling good during the day.
Now I should say, we rescue dogs, special needs animals nobody else wants. One of our special ones is Grizabella, an old Great Dane that was found abandoned on the street.
Now I have read that you should set your machine lower than your bed if you use a humidifier, so I have a short stand, about 20" tall, next to the bed for my S9. Griz likes to sleep next to me on the floor, next to the bed.
Last night she had gas... really bad gas.
My machine is too low, I need to find a taller stand.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Big dogs and CPAP
You should lower it more. Embrace the experience. Be at one with the dog gas.
Post Reply Post Reply
It kind of just grabs you by the nose hairs and hangs on, doesn't it?

My first Saint Bernard introduced me to the concept of fresh dog fart pumped under pressure directly into the nose. The Saint Pyrenees likes to nap right behind my recliner where I have the DeVillbiss on the lower table shelf (4" off the floor). I found that to be a problem last weekend.

Yep.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
yup, there is absolutely NOTHING like having fresh dog fart shoved down your nose and into your throat at 9 to 17 cmh2o. (it might not matter how high off the floor the cpap is... best bet is to put it on the other side of a wall and just let the hose through Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
On the plus side, remote CPAP makes it harder for a bedmate to successfully execute the full "Dutch Oven" maneuver. But not the CPAP wearer .....

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
It woke my from a good sleep. She didn't want to move, and I would not force her, so I turned on the ceiling fan and threw a towel over her butt. Still got whiffs from time to time, but it was no longer a problem. The machine is now up higher, even with the matress. I am off to Staples this morning for a card reader to use with Sleepyhead. From what little info the machine gives, all looks good, AHI avg 0.2, leak ok, my comfort is ok, except for a little soreness on the nares by the septum. I am a side sleeper, so getting even pressure on the nose pillows is a bit of a challenge.
Post Reply Post Reply
You guys are so funny. I had no clue that dogs had such stench (I had dachsunds and cats - never had a problem that I can recall) until my sister's dog. She only had stench when she had been fed ham, but OMG that odor would just cling everywhere! I can't imagine breathing it in at pressure!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Black Lab, an English Pointer, and a German Short-Haired Pointer. They ALL love beans. Thankfully my machine is WAY above the floor Smile

And then, here comes the Bichon Frisee, who, PO'd that the exhaust air is ruffling her fur, decided to bite my Climate Air tubing! Too funny Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2015, 07:58 PM)parkerdt Wrote: I have a Black Lab, an English Pointer, and a German Short-Haired Pointer. They ALL love beans. Thankfully my machine is WAY above the floor Smile

And then, here comes the Bichon Frisee, who, PO'd that the exhaust air is ruffling her fur, decided to bite my Climate Air tubing! Too funny Smile

We live for the dogs...
question is, why would you feed them BEANS?
Post Reply Post Reply
parkerdt loves dog fart Bigwink
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dogs and anpea unidee 4 894 12-26-2021, 11:17 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Tennis Balls and Dogs PaulaO2 11 4,395 07-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.