Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure Worsens Central Apneas During Sleep
RE: Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure Worsens Central Apneas During Sleep
That would be hard to say, Rich, because people on ASV machines already have CSA anyway.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2012, 03:28 PM)zonk Wrote: Results: BLPAP was more likely to worsen than improve CSR (p = 0.002), non-CSR central apneas (p < 0.001), and CSR or PB (p < 0.001). CSR (p = 0.03) and non-CSR central apneas (p = 0.01) were more likely to worsen with BLPAP (24% and 23%, respectively) than with CPAP (11% and 8%). Central events (p = 0.04) and CSR (p = 0.009) were more likely to worsen during BLPAP in patients with baseline CSR or PB (62% and 48%, respectively) than develop in those without baseline CSR or PB (34% and 18%). Higher BLPAP differences worsened central events in 28% of patients, while 7% improved (p = 0.02). During REM sleep, central apneas improved, while hypopneas and obstructive apneas worsened (p < 0.001).

Would somebody please translate this for me? I am not fluent enough in initials. Which brings up another question. Does the board have a dictionary of initials? Should we maybe for those of us who do not know them or lose track of them? I am guilty of both.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a Wiki page on acronyms: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

Most of the initials listed in that quoted passage are defined in the first post of this thread.

I can't remember exactly what the p value measures. Something to do with the statistical significance of the result. I would have to dig out that statistics textbook that's gathering dust on the bookshelf!

Here's my summary: BiPAP's induce central sleep apnea. It happened to me. The solution, just as it would be with CPA-induced central apnea, was to lower the pressure. Later, as I adapted, I was able to raise it back up again. I can't go all the way up to my titrated pressure of 13 because of aerophagia, but I'm close enough that my AHI is now consistenly below 2.0, with an average that's below 1.5.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 12:01 PM)Sleepster Wrote: There is a Wiki page on acronyms: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

Most of the initials listed in that quoted passage are defined in the first post of this thread.

I can't remember exactly what the p value measures. Something to do with the statistical significance of the result. I would have to dig out that statistics textbook that's gathering dust on the bookshelf!

Here's my summary: BiPAP's induce central sleep apnea. It happened to me. The solution, just as it would be with CPA-induced central apnea, was to lower the pressure. Later, as I adapted, I was able to raise it back up again. I can't go all the way up to my titrated pressure of 13 because of aerophagia, but I'm close enough that my AHI is now consistenly below 2.0, with an average that's below 1.5.

Absolutely right, I did lose track of those rather quickly I guess. I guess maybe I thought that Zonk was speaking in Australian. Well, I just started to go off topic so I had better sign off.

Thanks,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 12:01 PM)Sleepster Wrote: The solution, just as it would be with CPA-induced central apnea, was to lower the pressure.

Definitions:

CPA-induced central apnea: Central apnea events that occur in increasing frequency the closer we get to April 15th.

Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 02:11 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(02-13-2014, 12:01 PM)Sleepster Wrote: The solution, just as it would be with CPA-induced central apnea, was to lower the pressure.

Definitions:

CPA-induced central apnea: Central apnea events that occur in increasing frequency the closer we get to April 15th.

Bigwink

Do you mean - CPA - Central Punishment Apnea?Huhsign

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 03:32 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(02-13-2014, 02:11 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:

Definitions:

Bigwink

PaytonA

CPA - Certified Public Accountant, many of whom do tax returns to file on April 15th (U.S. tax day for our foreign members)). Coffee

..sorry, my poor attempt at humor. Wink

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 08:21 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: CPA - Certified Public Accountant, many of whom do tax returns to file on April 15th (U.S. tax day for our foreign members)). Coffee

In Australia you can lodge your tax returns from 1 July until 31 October
Failure to lodge your tax return by this date means you may be subject to a penalty Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 08:21 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: CPA - Certified Public Accountant, many of whom do tax returns to file on April 15th (U.S. tax day for our foreign members)). Coffee

I sometimes lose the will to live when talking to my accountant. That's probably a case of CPA-induced apnea. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 08:21 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(02-13-2014, 03:32 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(02-13-2014, 02:11 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Definitions:

Bigwink

PaytonA

CPA - Certified Public Accountant, many of whom do tax returns to file on April 15th (U.S. tax day for our foreign members)). Coffee

...my poor attempt at humor too.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 572 4 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,973 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 247 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.