Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure Worsens Central Apneas During Sleep
RE: Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure Worsens Central Apneas During Sleep
(07-11-2012, 08:38 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Averages:
First 3 days on CPAP therapy: AHI=9.43, CA=0.19, OA=6.73, H=2.63.
Next 13 days on CPAP therapy: AHI=3.05, CA=0.13, OA=1.73, H=1.29.
Next 19 days on BiPAP therapy: AHI=9.96, CA=9.21, OA=0.42, H=0.33.

After this they lowered my BiPAP pressures and now my AHI averages 2.0.

But you can see a dramatic jump in the CA index with the onset of BiPAP therapy. This study is the first verification I've seen that this thing can happen to other people, too.

The question is, what's the cause. The conventional thinking is that when the CPAP pressure is too high your brain tells your lungs to stop breathing because there's too much oxygen in the blood. This is called CPAP-induced central apnea. Lowering the pressure fixes the problem.

But when we have bilevel (BiPAP or BLPAP) therapy there's an increase in pressure between the exhale and the inhale, and a drop in pressure between the inhale and the exhale. For some reason, this changing of the pressure also causes this effect to appear.

Hi. Sleepster
I have the exact problem you are discussing. I have been using bipap for 3 weeks and now almost all my apneas are central apneas and only 1 or 2 are obstructive. My AHI is 15 with only 2 being OA and 13 central apneas.
I see my sleep doctor on Friday. I wonder what he will suggest.
I am using an Oximeter every night too. Most events are between 90 to 94 percent oxygen saturation but some are between 84 to 89 and one event was 79 percent.
It seems like a lot for using the bipap therapy.
I hope something can be done like lowing the pressure support or I might have to use the ASV machine (if my health insurance would pay. I priced,those machines. Very expensive.)
Thank you for the research.
Kim
Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure Worsens Central Apneas During Sleep
Due to a back injury I have been taking a narcotic pain medicine on a continuous basis for over the last 10 years. This pain medication in turn I believe is the cause of my Central Sleep Apnea's. I am also being treated for severe Asthma.

During my first sleep study it was determined that I had Complex Sleep Apnea. My over all AHI was 9 per hour with 8 of them being centrals. CPAP titration was recommended. During the 2nd sleep study my AHI was 21, CPAP was started at 4 and increased to 13 and the index went from 8 to21. Final Impression was - Combined obstructive and central sleep apnea with complex apnea with worsening central events on increasing CPAP. Out come - Patient is suitable candidate for an ASV titration!

So this is a incidence of where the increase of pressure caused a dramatic increase in central apnea events!

I was set up with the Resmed VPAP Adapt, mode is ASV, with initial setting's of EPR 5, Min PS 4, and Max PS of 15, these had to be lowered to 4-4-8 as I developed severely sore chest muscles and lungs for several days to which I couldn't use the machine! this was due to the high inspiratory positive airway pressure of 20 (EPR 5 + Max PS 15 = 20) the machine was pushing down my lungs.

At these reduced settings the past 3 nights I haven't had any centrals and my AHI has been 2.45, .81 and .48 and I am up to over 5 hours a night now in usage.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to Bilevel and lots of CAs Thorne88 0 3 5 minutes ago
Last Post: Thorne88
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 598 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,523 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,405 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,975 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 247 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.