Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bilevel machine - advice needed
RE: [split] Bilevel machine - advice needed
(10-23-2018, 08:40 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The increased risk cohort for ASV is narrowly defined as HF with LVEF lower than 45%.  This is a conservative extrapolation of a deeply flawed study that actually found increased risks at LVEF less than 35% .  You should screen for ejection fraction, but if that checks out, then ASV is a better alternative to ST for therapy induced CA because PS 6 may not induce breaths, even with a timed backup rate.

I think you may be a very good candidate for EERS which we discussed before https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3998090/ The author of that article has been treating another forum member previously on ASV.  I encourage you to have your doctor consult with that physician and try this technique in lieu of ASV.  We have proven your central apnea is treated at PS less than 4.0 cm, and it is reasonable to conclude that enhanced rebreathing space would avoid the hypocapnea which is the root cause of your problem.  Here is contact information taken from the linked article.
Robert Joseph Thomas, Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School; Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, Phone: (617) 667-5864, Fax: (617) 667-4849

Wiki link http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...references
Tmember that uses EERS is Foxfire, and the DME that makes up the sevice is
The DME that provides the EERS supplies is:

Regional Homecare
125 Tolman Avenue
Leominster MA, 01453
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00 Eastern
Phone: 978-840-0113

I had an echocardiogram in January 2018. At that time my Ejection Fraction Rate was 70%, which is very high. So I'm not close to the lower numbers where the concern may be. 

I looked into the EERS information somewhat before. I'm not yet sure what I think about it. I didn't go too deep in my research though.  I also think that after I get the new ASV machine that I'll be considering changing pulmonary doctors. Your suggestions about the things I should discuss with my doctor are good ones but he isn't the doctor that will care. Just bringing in my SleepyHead findings at the last appointment, was good and he listened but before I felt I was done with the appointment he was walking out. He was already running late and didn't what the other patients after me to be held off longer. So he quickly ended it. I can't see him the least bit interested in learning about or talking to a doctor about EERS.

After this Study tonight I may look into it a some more but I want to first get the ASV machine then go from there.

Thanks though.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Bilevel machine - advice needed
(10-23-2018, 12:46 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: The ST can stop centrals but it is not as comfortable as the ASV to use, it is a fixed pressure machine with a backup rate

I have used a ST before but it was a couple years ago. I found it fairly comfortable to use but it didn't end up working for me. But if the ASV is more comfortable than that, I should adjust easily enough. Thanks for the information.

Besides the ST having a backup rate and the ASV being Auto, is there a big difference also in the algorithms of the two machines?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,370 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  New Bilevel user help with settings (oscar attached) opo218 6 131 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: opo218
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 153 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 109 8,762 04-08-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 177 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  I got a ResVent 30STA Bilevel TechieHippie 17 478 04-06-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.