Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bilevel machine - advice needed
RE: [split] Bilevel machine - advice needed
Quick update:

I finally had my appointment today at the DME. I do indeed have a ResMed AirCurve VAUTO with a ClimateLine hose. They didn't have the big selection of masks I was told would be there to choose from. I'm not surprised. I brought home a ResMed AirFit N20.

The machine is currently set at Standard with the pressure settings of 18/12, as per the prescription.

I'm trying to decide how long I should leave it at standard to make may doctor happy. I have little knowledge of SleepyHead. That's my next project. I'm sure those numbers will help me decide how quickly to switch over.

I have other questions regarding changes to setting to the machine but wasn't sure if I should start a new thread with symptoms I've had using mom's older RedMed H4i or just give it a few nights with this machine and then ask and make changes then.

Thanks again for the knowledge gained regarding pushing for the Auto instead of the Standard machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The settings you mentioned sound like you have a AirSense 10 Autoset. The VAUTO doesn't have a standard setting. When you get a chance go ahead and post a sleepyhead chart and I'm sure you'll get input on which setting to use.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2018, 10:00 PM)LookingForward Wrote: My doctor got upset and told me that I was wrong and the Auto machines are very intricate and way more expensive. He said I don't need it, my sleep study was only done under the standard setting and he would not write the script for it.

As far as I can tell, the auto bipap is the *exact same machine* with the exact same sensors and mechanical parts as the fixed bipap, just with additional software modes enabled to reactively control pressure levels.

Given the large amount of data home machines provide I'd think that *weeks and weeks* data from an auto machine is more telling that a single, non-representative night of PSG testing when it comes to titration.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I think I know what your saying now. What you call standard I know as fixed pressures. So you have a VAUTO but he has it set to fixed pressures so it doesn't adjust for events. Go can go ahead and use the pressures he has it set for for a few days than post a sleepyhead chart here. A couple of days data at the set pressures should give an idea of what changes you'll need to make. You also could change to VAUTO setting and set minimum pressure at 11cm and pressure support at 6cm. Than set maximum pressure at 25cm. That should be close enough for Auto settings to see what you need. It's up to you though.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2018, 02:41 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: The settings you mentioned sound like you have a AirSense 10 Autoset. The VAUTO doesn't have a standard setting. When you get a chance go ahead and post a sleepyhead chart and I'm sure you'll get input on which setting to use.

My machine is an AirCurve 10 VAuto. It's silver like the other BiLevel AirCurves. And the little decal on the front of the machine says "AirCurve 10 VAuot. I think all the AirSense are black. When I go into clinical settings it shows the choices of CPAP, S, and VAuto. At the moment it's set at Standard. I would guess my pressure of 18 to 12 shows the BiLevel rate. 

I see that you also have the AirCurve 10 VAuto. Do the modes in your clinical settings say the same?

Hopefully this evening I will start watching SleepyHead YouTube videos. I have it downloaded to my computer already. I'll be very interested to see the results in the morning.

Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to the help with pressure settings and learning how to use SleepyHead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LookingForward,
WELCOME to the forum.!
Iwish you good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The S on a vauto stands for Spontaneous Mode ie BiLevel with fixed pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2018, 05:43 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: OK I think I know what your saying now. What you call standard I know as fixed pressures. So you have a VAUTO but he has it set to fixed pressures so it doesn't adjust for events. Go can go ahead and use the pressures he has it set for for a few days than post a sleepyhead chart here. A couple of days data at the set pressures should give an idea of what changes you'll need to make. You also could change to VAUTO setting and set minimum pressure at 11cm and pressure support at 6cm. Than set maximum pressure at 25cm. That should be close enough for Auto settings to see what you need. It's up to you though.

I did a lot of studying this morning in the use of SleepyHead and I'm still a beginner with much more to learn!

But I did manage to view my results on SleepyHead. I was really surprised to see that there were 51 Centrals and 13 Obstructives. I probably should have waited a day or two but I went ahead and sent a message to my doctor requesting that he look at the results and possibly recommend a pressure change. Hopefully he won't be too mad at me for getting the Auto or that I requested he look at the results so soon. Should I post the screenshot on this threat or start a new one  since the topic is now changing to one with results?

(08-10-2018, 02:11 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: The S on a vauto stands for Spontaneous Mode ie BiLevel with fixed pressures.

Thanks for the info. I made the assumption that S meant Standard so I'm glad you let me know. Now I have to remember that  Rolleyes I tend to be forgetful sometimes.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can post the chart here. I can tell you right now though your going to want to reduce the pressure support down to 4cm or 3cm and see if that reduces the clear airway events.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
The VPAP S mode is fixed pressure, and at 18/12, your pressure support is 6-cm. I think you'd probably benefit from the Vauto mode which would allow you to use a lower pressure, and it would automatically adjust upward according to your needs. For example, you could set it in Vauto mode at EPAP min 10, PS 6.0 and IPAP max 18 and be very close to your current fixed pressure prescription, but a bit less aggressive as you fall asleep and unless you need the higher pressure. When in VPAP-S mode be sure the Easy-Breathe comfort option is selected. It makes a big difference in comfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,806 54 minutes ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 300 8 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 177 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 869 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,975 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,527 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.