Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bimaxillary Osteotomy - Double Jaw Surgery
Bimaxillary Osteotomy - Double Jaw Surgery
Hi all, new member here. I did do a quick search of the group to see if there was much conversation about this topic but couldn’t find much. I am (probably) about to embark on the journey to this procedure. I am not necessarily asking for anyone's opinion on the procedure, or whether it is worth getting or not. I am asking if there’s anyone in this group who has been through it, and would be willing to share their experience with me? 

Some context.
I am 30 year old male and have struggled with constant tiredness, waking up feeling unrested, unable to not nap and suffered from anxiety and depression for years now. I went down a lot of avenues for a long time trying to find out why to no avail. Sleep apnea wasn’t suspected initially because I do not snore, wake up out of breath, have high blood pressure and not overweight.
I was diagnosed with mild OSA a year ago. My sleep study showed anywhere from 17 to 27 events per hour (closer to 17 on my side, and 27 on my back). I was non-compliant during my 2 month CPAP trial. I was never able to get more than 3 hours of therapy per night and struggled with restricted movement, claustrophobic feeling of the appliance on my face (and I tried basically every type), pressure waking me up and face soreness.
Was referred to a soft tissue ENT surgeon however this was not an option due to not having any excess soft tissue to remove. Then referred to an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon. He believed I would be a good candidate for a Bimaxillary Osteotomy procedure to help my OSA by opening my airway due to my underdeveloped lower jaw (slightly underdeveloped upper) and slight overbite.
My journey to a good night sleep is to have all of my wisdom teeth plus two lower premolars removed. Followed by 15 to 18 months or braces and orthodontic treatment. Surgery. Then 6 months more months of orthodontic treatment. And the obviously long recovery that comes with this procedure..

Thank you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone here got jaw surgery? goku 3 189 06-16-2022, 10:14 PM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  [Symptoms] CPAP or jaw surgery? goku 20 716 06-07-2022, 09:49 PM
Last Post: goku
  Cpap after vocal cord surgery cbt2610 2 127 06-06-2022, 04:33 PM
Last Post: cbt2610
Question Asking for Help! [surgery vs. CPAP] Bandrews32 8 531 04-22-2022, 06:46 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Having surgery when you have sleep apnoea Hroot 31 1,170 03-20-2022, 09:48 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  Surgery for OSA and UARS, help with allergies, food? Cblink19 0 222 02-09-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cblink19
  Goiter surgery Newguy1 7 516 12-01-2021, 12:25 PM
Last Post: AnotherNewGuy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.