Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Random1001 - Therapy Thread
Question 
Random1001 - Therapy Thread
Hello! It's my first post and I am brand new to CPAP. 

I am a 44 year old female, overweight, living in the US. I had to have a surgery for a kidney stone a couple months ago and the anesthesiologist asked if I have sleep apnea, I said no. He told me, yes, I think you do! That's what started this journey for me. I've slept alone for > 15 years so no one to really give me feedback on my sleep. People have told me I snore in the past but I didn't think much of it. I breathe primarily through my mouth, I have my whole life. When I close my mouth and try to breathe only through my nose I feel like I must take a huge breathe of air through my mouth. 

I did an online sleep study where they sent me a common disposable gizmo that I wore for one night and the results were emailed to me. The general findings were:

Obstructive Sleep Apnea (G47.33) - Severe based on pAHIo=27.6 and O2 nadir of 85%
Central Sleep Apnea (G47.31) - Mild based on pAHIc = 11.0

I did not use the online company to purchase the CPAP, I got a prescription and went in person to a local DME so I could use my insurance. I got a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and a ResMed Airfit F30i full face mask in size small. They did set it up for me and show me how to use it. That was about 3 weeks ago. I need to go back to them in the next week or so for them to check for insurance compliance. 

Since I started using it I have had pretty consistently high AHI each night (and nap) of ~15-25 (as shown on CPAP display). I downloaded OSCAR and took at a look at the data, but I don't really know what I am looking at. That's where you all come in (I hope!). I attached last night full night and some zoomed part for review. 

I KNOW I need to get a sleep study done in a lab now. I just wrote to my PCP to ask them to put in the order for a sleep study, but that will take time to schedule and complete. Since I have the machine now, I'd like to try changing some settings to try and improve the current situation. I am willing to try any settings change, I just don't know where to start. I find the mask perfectly comfortable and I usually sleep on my side and stomach, but if a different mask might help, I am willing to give that a try as well. 

On a positive note - I do find myself with more energy and I just realized this week that I've stopped planning my day around naps. So it is helping me, but I'd just like to get the maximum benefit possible since I have to wear this thing that my kids have to laugh at each night  Smile

Thanks for reading all of this and thanks in advance to anyone that has any recommendations.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Random1001 - Therapy Thread
I’m still open to suggestions if anyone thinks of something I can try. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try turning off your ramp and EPR.  Set the pressure range to min=9 and max=11.  Sleep on your side. Try it overnight and post the results.  

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much! I did change the settings and attached what I got.
1. full view
2. random zoom
3. zoom in the "CSR" marked part

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
To me, it seems that you have the wrong machine for your type of apneas.    If you are using insurance, you may wish to show your doctor the OSCAR graphs and ask for an ASV titration study.

You might try dropping the pressure to a min/max of 8. This may reduce the CAs. This is just speculation on my part, though.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for sharing your opinion. It’s nice to hear because it’s the same conclusion I came to after a lot of reading on the topic. I’ll proceed through my doctor and update after in case this can help anyone else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,062 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 157 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 253 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,344 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.